Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

For those of you who have had your tubes tied....

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:21 AM
  • 23 Replies

I'm expecting my 5th child & after this, the baby factory is closed!  I had originally planned to get my tubes tied because it seems relatively simple.  But, after doing a lot of research, I have read about side effects that I didn't even know existed.  How many of you with your tubes tied have had any problems?  side effects?  How was the healing process?  How long did it take? I'm concerned about bringing home a brand new baby & feeling like crap b/c I just had surgery.  Your input in appreciated!!

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jamamama00
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Duuude, I have heard some real horror stories from my friend! But I also had a lot of friends who had no issues at all. I know it makes you pretty sore:/ Can you get your DH to get snipped? I threw a huge fit and made mine! It saved us a ton of money for one thing. Plus, I told him that if I can lay on a hospital bed and have God and everyone looking  down on my vag under a spotlight as a baby rips out of it, he can damn sure handle five minutes of discomfort...

allyssavings
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:10 PM

I had mine done @ 23 w/ a 4 yr old a 3 yr old and an 18 mth old, so I really can't tell u what it will be like w/ a newborn, but I can tell u about my "experience".

When it was done it was very hard on me as I couldn't pick up my boys for about 2 weeks or so. I had a weight restriction of 10 lbs. Tryin to keep la urchins off of me for about 2 days was bad too, especially as I had a little snugglebug.

After the first 2 weeks everything was almost back to normal. I had mine done in 99 and since then my periods have become soooo painful. I am knocked out of commision for the first day to day and a 1/2 every single month. It is a pain/cramping that just begs for enough pain meds to service a small country. And the pms...I had never had pms until then and since then I'm flipping from crying to raging to keep me locked up in a room for a week coz somebody is gonna say something wrong that would be normally acceptable.

I understand that this isn't everyone's situation but it's mine and it may give u some insight! Hope it helps.

Mandy575
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:19 PM

I had mine done 11 yrs ago right after my son was born. For me it was easy. They went in through my belly button, I was sore for a few days but no that bad. I had a 2yr old and a 1yr old as well as a newborn. So I had my hands full lol. My DH wasn't home either I was alone. I couldn't lift my other babies right away so I would kneel down or have them get up on the couch or what ever they could and that way I could carry them with out lifting. I didn't take a single pain pill but when I would cough or sneeze it was alittle painful. I think the only thing that is weird is I hate for someone to touch my belly button now lol but that's it. Hope this helped. Good luck.

MrsNewman
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:20 PM
Its been two yrs since i had mine tied and im fine. no side effects.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blondie805
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:42 PM

I had my tubes tied 15 years ago. I had no problems. I went in and came back out a few hours later. I recovered in about a week.

Fairywings1223
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:35 PM

I got mine done after my 6th. It was almost 7 yrs ago and I have had no problems at all.

Jennifer Wife to Shaun 2-28-00 Mom to Alexus 2-13-06, Elizabeth 8-30-03, Domanic 6-30-02,Whitney 8-10-01, Mac 10-19-99, Macayla 12-29-98 

almondpigeon
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Quoting allyssavings:

I had mine done @ 23 w/ a 4 yr old a 3 yr old and an 18 mth old, so I really can't tell u what it will be like w/ a newborn, but I can tell u about my "experience".

When it was done it was very hard on me as I couldn't pick up my boys for about 2 weeks or so. I had a weight restriction of 10 lbs. Tryin to keep la urchins off of me for about 2 days was bad too, especially as I had a little snugglebug.

After the first 2 weeks everything was almost back to normal. I had mine done in 99 and since then my periods have become soooo painful. I am knocked out of commision for the first day to day and a 1/2 every single month. It is a pain/cramping that just begs for enough pain meds to service a small country. And the pms...I had never had pms until then and since then I'm flipping from crying to raging to keep me locked up in a room for a week coz somebody is gonna say something wrong that would be normally acceptable.

I understand that this isn't everyone's situation but it's mine and it may give u some insight! Hope it helps.

yep.  this is exactly what i'm afraid of. 

Jaded_Angel22
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:38 PM
Quoting allyssavings:

My weight restriction was nothing that weighed more than the baby n carseat combined is what I was told. I had mine done 12 hrs after I had my youngest. Since then my periods r irregular, I have horrible cramps I never had before, I get really bad back pain in the days before and at the end theres this "brown sludge" that's like tissue that's died, but it doesn't smell...I know It's probably tmi, but my.2 sisters had the.same prob with the sludge and told me about it n to use a douche during And a few days after...but my periods are shorter by about 3 days.

babies

momof3jam
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:41 PM

We decided against it - DH chose to get snipped instead. It's a simpler procedure, safer, and shorter recovery time. My friend had her tubes tied right after her 3rd baby. She didn't have any side effects that I know of. Other than that, I really don't know much about her healing process.

I would totally sit down with your doctor and discuss it.

splatz
by Sarah on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:02 AM
I'm still hoping for one more kiddo so no help from me. Here is a bump though!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN