Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

For those of you who have had your tubes tied....

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm expecting my 5th child & after this, the baby factory is closed!  I had originally planned to get my tubes tied because it seems relatively simple.  But, after doing a lot of research, I have read about side effects that I didn't even know existed.  How many of you with your tubes tied have had any problems?  side effects?  How was the healing process?  How long did it take? I'm concerned about bringing home a brand new baby & feeling like crap b/c I just had surgery.  Your input in appreciated!!

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:21 AM
Replies (11-20):
Kay300
by Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:23 AM

I had no problems, I don't even remember being sore, I rested that day after, but was perfectly normal, its not much of a surgery...  When I did it, they told me they would fill the stomach with gas, whcih made it easier to get to... the gas rised up trying to leave the body,and gave me a stiff neck...  Ask about the gas, hopefully they don't do it that way anymore......  The surgery was nothing, I just hated my stiff neck..  Its wonderful not to have to take the Pill anymore  .. and safer than taking the pill the rest of your life... -

RCAAV23
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:34 AM
I just got my tubes tied in march. I had a 1 month old baby at the time too. I was soooooo sore and hubby had to care for baby for a week and a half cuz I could barely get out of bed. Since then, my period is very irregular and my cramps are equivelent to labor paind. Very bad! I also know 3 people personally, that got pregnant after having their tubes tied. if I could go back....i wouldnt have gotten it done. Good luck with whatever decision u make!!
queencreekmom
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:58 AM
I had mine tied on the table after my 3rd c-section. I didn't have any side effects. That was 7 years ago.
almondpigeon
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Quoting Kay300:

I had no problems, I don't even remember being sore, I rested that day after, but was perfectly normal, its not much of a surgery...  When I did it, they told me they would fill the stomach with gas, whcih made it easier to get to... the gas rised up trying to leave the body,and gave me a stiff neck...  Ask about the gas, hopefully they don't do it that way anymore......  The surgery was nothing, I just hated my stiff neck..  Its wonderful not to have to take the Pill anymore  .. and safer than taking the pill the rest of your life... -

My doctor actually mentioned the gas.  Yes, they still do it that way.  She said the #1 complaint was the sore shoulders & neck.

almondpigeon
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Quoting RCAAV23:

I just got my tubes tied in march. I had a 1 month old baby at the time too. I was soooooo sore and hubby had to care for baby for a week and a half cuz I could barely get out of bed. Since then, my period is very irregular and my cramps are equivelent to labor paind. Very bad! I also know 3 people personally, that got pregnant after having their tubes tied. if I could go back....i wouldnt have gotten it done. Good luck with whatever decision u make!!

I think I've decided not to do it.  The side effects are freaking me out. I know a lot of people have no problems at all, but with my luck, I'd be one of the ones that have a horrible time with it.  My periods are already horrible...I don't think I would survive if they got any worse!

kaitybird
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Wow, it is fun to read these posts as everyone will have a different experience. I have had mine tied, untied and tied yet again. First time I was barely 22 and just gave birth to my second child. They were already in there because I had a c-section. A month to the day after that I had my gall bladder out the old fashioned way, if you think tubes is hard try having that!  I then had my tubes untied a very grueling and painful 5 hour surgery.  I then had a child almost 4 years later in 1997 and while they were delivering her I had my tubes tied for the final time and had no issues.  I think if you go in with a positive mind and know what to expect then things will be better, but that is just me!  I was not aware that there were a lot of side affects.  Mine have been done for 15 and a half years.  

Good Luck with whatever you choose to do.  It has to be the right one for you!  ;) 

CallxMexMama
by Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:08 PM
I've had mine done since my son was 1 and he's almost 5 now. My periods are heavier and longer and the cramps are more intense. Sucks ass.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heyiitsang84
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:17 PM

the only problem that I have had is I get this tugging feeling on the right with a little bit of pain, but other than that it's all good :)

mom2gr8tgirls
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:14 PM

I have not had mine tied, nor will I ever (I don't like the permanency of tubals or vasectomies).  My SIL had her's tied after her last was born last year.  She said that recovery BLEW with having a newborn.  I'm not sure on her recovery time since she lived 1500 miles away at the time.  She's had no problems since having it done though I don't believe. 

goddess99
by Michelle on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:52 PM

I had a csection and tubal at the same time. No problems, no side effects, no problems at all, quick heal time considering.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)