Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

You Know You Grew Up Before the Internet Was Invented When ...

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:28 AM
  • 9 Replies

You Know You Grew Up Before the Internet Was Invented When ...

Posted by Sheri Reed on October 2, 2012 at 6:16 PM

kids playing video games nintendo ds portable gamingMy boys have lots of age-appropriate tech devices, can set the DVR by themselves, and know about the latest viral YouTube videos before I do. But sometimes I worry I am ruining them with technology. What are all these "convenience tools" doing to their "sponge-like" kid brains? Squelching their innate talents? Robbing them of the glory that comes from good old-fashioned benign neglect and boredom?

When I think back to my childhood, spent pretending my bike was a horse and making eraser people, I do think my kids are getting a little screwed. We had no technology (unless you count Lite Brite); we had to learn to make do. We were boredom survivors. Some of our best days revolved around playing House (the only one left standing in a nuclear war) and making great duct tape things, which we then sold to strangers from mom's card table. It was a wonderful time. Life's answers weren't a Google search away, and we, no doubt, came out brighter (briter?) because of it. Didn't we?

Let's take a quick look at childhood before and after the Internet was invented, and you decide. Who's screwed the least -- the techy kids of today or us non-techy kids of yesterday?

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
jessicasmom1
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:30 AM

you stare at a computer screen and don't know how to turn it on

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this
You remember dial up

Having an aol account to do instant messaging was cool
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MichelleMc
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:27 PM

I have to totally agree with the technology. I held it back from my son for a few years to make sure he got those key younger years, and I think people start their kids WAYYYYYY too young being face first in it. WAYYY too early. Un real. 

Anyway, LOL,  

Social Networking was hanging out in the same room at the same time.

Sharing pictures was making a scrapbook & physically showing someone. 

Sending a letter involved a stamp.

SlapItHigh
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Crazy!  I like the non-internet age better!

ShhhItsASecret
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:20 PM

But you know, you here more kids now say they are bored a lot more then we did when we were kids. I would love to have the stuff they have. But according to them, they never have anything to do.

OliviasMommy611
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:23 PM
Omg true

Quoting jltplk25:

You remember dial up

Having an aol account to do instant messaging was cool
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2gr8tgirls
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:27 PM

You actually used to write down all the website addresses on tv so you had something to do on the internet!  

Dinosaurspiders
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Your favorite thing to do on the computer was to play Oregon Trail, or Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?

I grew up in the late 80s and throughout the 90s. My parents could not afford the internet and a decent computer until I almost graduated from high school. So we did a lot, I mean a lot of playing outside. We also had little tvs in our room, you know with two knobs on them, and we had Mario Brothers to play and other Nintendo games. Never kept us occupied more than 30 minutes. I was the most unplugged child I knew. It was frustrating not knowing the shows on cable every other kid watched, or knowing movies that weren't made in the 80s that were always on tv on the weekends. 

I read books more than anything. 

Honestly, I think, neither generation is screwed. Not the generation with less technology, nor the generation with technology. It sucks sometimes to think about it, but technology is here to stay, and if your child doesn't know how to use it they will fall behind in today's society.

My mom doesn't even know how to turn a computer off and on almost, but she is a nurse and they are making her use an Android to complete paperwork now. They are making little old people with arthritic hands sign their names on the darn things. 

I don't want to hold my child back from the social norms of his generation, so he knows how to work the dvd player, turn on the computer, type in the password, and so on. He has a leapster explorer so he understands how to use a touch screen. He is still a great kid. He is still a smart kid. He still loves books, and he is just as creative as I used to be at his age, and I had little technology around me. It's just different. I don't want to make a judgement call of whats right or wrong, whats better and worse. We have to adapt to our environment. If you want to keep your little ones free of technology for the first few years that won't hurt either. Both ways can lead to a healthy childhood. It is all about balance and informed parenting. And lots of love. :)

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:00 AM

you can remember doing school reports with pencil/pen paper and not typing them...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)