Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Making the switch to the toddler bed - Update

Posted by   + Show Post

At what age did your child(ren) transition to the toddler bed?

I don't remember it being this hard with my oldest. Then again that was almost 6 years ago & he was an easy child all around. Anyone have any tips on what I can do to make this a little easier? I am SO tired!

I only fought her about 10 minutes tonight & then I just closed the door. She passed out within the 20 minutes I was gone & when I went to check on her!!! :)  Crossing my fingers for more nights like tonight. Her first night without the crib was Sunday. So not too bad.

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:08 AM
Replies (11-20):
maribou
by Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:27 AM

I'm with the baby gate or use a tv monitor so you can watch her and shut the door.  She'll get it - it just takes time.

I remember when we did it with our twins.  They were such stinkers and one would get the other one going.  

Good Luck 

splatz
by Sarah on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:30 AM
I tried the gate. She climbs that too haha. She just likes to keep me on my toes. :)

Quoting maribou:

I'm with the baby gate or use a tv monitor so you can watch her and shut the door.  She'll get it - it just takes time.

I remember when we did it with our twins.  They were such stinkers and one would get the other one going.  

Good Luck 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sjoshea
by New Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:30 AM

We moved our DS in July he turned 3 y/o on Sep 23rd.   We had to as he wouldn't fit in a travel crib any longer and we were heading out of town for 2 weeks.

We, and our extended family and friends, made a big deal about being in a big boy bed.  At first he wasn't too happy, but we just continued to 'be excited' about it and his excitement grew.  We had one set back about 1-2 weeks into it where he said, "ok Mommy, I get it.  Now can I have my crib back?".  We said no, and he has done fine ever since.  He still likes to show us how he can get in and out by himself.

We tell him he needs to stay in his room and in his bed during his nap and nighttime.  He gets out of his bed to get a book or a toy, but always jumps back in.  He has never left his room; and so far, we have not done anything that 'prevents' him from leaving his room.

Good luck.

splatz
by Sarah on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:34 AM
LOL! She was actually the easiest baby ever. She was such a good sleeper. As a toddler she is a whole different story. Her dad was a little maniac as a toddler/ preschooler. I think she gets it from him. SO's parents always say what goes around comes around and that she is just like him. I was a good kid dammit, this is so not fair! lol

Quoting NicLof2:

I'm scared my LO is gonna be like that he's a high maintanece baby. Lol

Good luck that's why Im scared to have a girl scared she'll be like me. Lol

Quoting splatz:

She just turned 2. She is a complete wild child. Nothing is ever easy with her haha. That was what I did with my oldest though. He thought his big boy bed was cool stuff & it wasn't a hard transition at all. Shes communicating less at 2 then he did at 1 1/2 when he made the switch though. So I feel like that makes it harder. She is just busy, busy, busy all the time. 

Quoting NicLof2:

How old is LO? Can you make it fun with a cool bed, redoing room, letting LO help you pick out a new theme for bed set? That worked for my eldest but he was easy.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Schleetle
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:35 AM
DD was around 2 1/2... We bought the pink bed from ikea, and told her it was Strawberry Shortcakes bed. Lol She was more than happy to switch.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:11 AM
Ha lex is a monster child too but luckily hasn't figured out she can climb out! Haha. Landon went from our bed, to a pallet on the floor to his toddler bed in our room to him in his own room.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NicLof2
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:45 PM
Lol that's funny my 1st was like me a wonderful baby then 3-5 a demon child. Lol now he's 9 now and has been a sweetie since 6. My LO is a different story I thinknim getting punished for his father and that's not fair!!

Quoting splatz:

LOL! She was actually the easiest baby ever. She was such a good sleeper. As a toddler she is a whole different story. Her dad was a little maniac as a toddler/ preschooler. I think she gets it from him. SO's parents always say what goes around comes around and that she is just like him. I was a good kid dammit, this is so not fair! lol

Quoting NicLof2:

I'm scared my LO is gonna be like that he's a high maintanece baby. Lol

Good luck that's why Im scared to have a girl scared she'll be like me. Lol

Quoting splatz:

She just turned 2. She is a complete wild child. Nothing is ever easy with her haha. That was what I did with my oldest though. He thought his big boy bed was cool stuff & it wasn't a hard transition at all. Shes communicating less at 2 then he did at 1 1/2 when he made the switch though. So I feel like that makes it harder. She is just busy, busy, busy all the time. 

Quoting NicLof2:

How old is LO? Can you make it fun with a cool bed, redoing room, letting LO help you pick out a new theme for bed set? That worked for my eldest but he was easy.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy425906
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:06 PM

We are trying to figure this one out too ...

Our son is 2 1/2 yrs, never climbs out or even tries to. We are currently working on daytime potty training - he still wears a diaper for his naps & during the night. 

We want to take the front off his crib so its just a guard rail, but aren't sure if we should wait until the potty training is done first? Too much change too soon?

DixieFlower
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:04 PM

My oldest was16 months when we started the transition and two yrs old when he started to completely sleep in his toddler bed. At first we removed the drop rail from his crib and put a bed rail up. When it was time for bed we'd go together and I'd read to him then for about the first week I'd lay down next to him until he fell asleep. My youngest is almost 2yrs old and is still in his crib. He can climb out of it so we just drop the rail for right now. I plan to transition him here in the next month or to being in his crib without the drop rail and then eventually into a toddler bed. Right now his crib is in our room.

OliviasMommy611
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:23 PM
2 and good luck!!!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)