Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Making the switch to the toddler bed - Update

Posted by   + Show Post

At what age did your child(ren) transition to the toddler bed?

I don't remember it being this hard with my oldest. Then again that was almost 6 years ago & he was an easy child all around. Anyone have any tips on what I can do to make this a little easier? I am SO tired!

I only fought her about 10 minutes tonight & then I just closed the door. She passed out within the 20 minutes I was gone & when I went to check on her!!! :)  Crossing my fingers for more nights like tonight. Her first night without the crib was Sunday. So not too bad.

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:08 AM
Replies (21-30):
splatz
by Sarah on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:56 PM

I try to lay down with her. But, she is just trying to get up non stop. And I KNOW she is tired. Its not like I am putting her to bed wide awake. The first night I was in the room with her until 1 am when she finally fell asleep. I had to put her back into bed like 100 times. She is just such a busy body that she wants to be all over the place now that she can. 

You are lucky he can't climb out! My kiddos a monkey. haha :)

Quoting DixieFlower:

My oldest was16 months when we started the transition and two yrs old when he started to completely sleep in his toddler bed. At first we removed the drop rail from his crib and put a bed rail up. When it was time for bed we'd go together and I'd read to him then for about the first week I'd lay down next to him until he fell asleep. My youngest is almost 2yrs old and is still in his crib. He can climb out of it so we just drop the rail for right now. I plan to transition him here in the next month or to being in his crib without the drop rail and then eventually into a toddler bed. Right now his crib is in our room.

splatz
by Sarah on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Lucky! With them redoing the kids room I can't put Kaitlyn's bed in our room. All the stuff from their room is crammed in ours. Even so with Sam working nights she would be getting woke up every morning super early when he gets off work. I feel like the flooding/fixing the kids room & Sam's work hours make this so much harder than it already is. 

Quoting jltplk25:

Ha lex is a monster child too but luckily hasn't figured out she can climb out! Haha. Landon went from our bed, to a pallet on the floor to his toddler bed in our room to him in his own room.

splatz
by Sarah on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Thanks! I need it. :)

Quoting OliviasMommy611:

2 and good luck!!!!!!

splatz
by Sarah on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Are you meaning you want to transition him after he is done with daytime training? Or after he is fully trained? I guess it really just depends on the kiddo & how well they do with transitions. But, being able to get out of bed to go potty would be a good thing. Though it might be bad too if he is anything like mine & just wants to be up and out haha. 

Good luck with potty training! 

Quoting mommy425906:

We are trying to figure this one out too ...

Our son is 2 1/2 yrs, never climbs out or even tries to. We are currently working on daytime potty training - he still wears a diaper for his naps & during the night. 

We want to take the front off his crib so its just a guard rail, but aren't sure if we should wait until the potty training is done first? Too much change too soon?

DixieFlower
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:34 PM

My almost two yr old does climb out. He's been climbing out of his crib since he was a year old. With my oldest it took about a week of putting him back in his bed 100's of times before he'd start sleeping in it by himself. Yes, we were even doing this until 1am. He'd even get up in the middle of the night. So we'd put him in our bed and once he was asleep I'd have DH put him back in his toddler bed so he'd know that's where he sleeps.

Quoting splatz:

I try to lay down with her. But, she is just trying to get up non stop. And I KNOW she is tired. Its not like I am putting her to bed wide awake. The first night I was in the room with her until 1 am when she finally fell asleep. I had to put her back into bed like 100 times. She is just such a busy body that she wants to be all over the place now that she can. 

Quoting DixieFlower:

My oldest was16 months when we started the transition and two yrs old when he started to completely sleep in his toddler bed. At first we removed the drop rail from his crib and put a bed rail up. When it was time for bed we'd go together and I'd read to him then for about the first week I'd lay down next to him until he fell asleep. My youngest is almost 2yrs old and is still in his crib. He can climb out of it so we just drop the rail for right now. I plan to transition him here in the next month or to being in his crib without the drop rail and then eventually into a toddler bed. Right now his crib is in our room.

mommy425906
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:17 PM

We're going to daytime train him 100% first. I don't think he is ready for night training yet. A lot of moms have told me their kids didn't take to night training for a while, even though they were day trained.

We might change his bed this weekend to test it out. If it doesn't seem like the right time we can just put it back how it was I guess! :-)

Quoting splatz:

Are you meaning you want to transition him after he is done with daytime training? Or after he is fully trained? I guess it really just depends on the kiddo & how well they do with transitions. But, being able to get out of bed to go potty would be a good thing. Though it might be bad too if he is anything like mine & just wants to be up and out haha. 

Good luck with potty training! 

Quoting mommy425906:

We are trying to figure this one out too ...

Our son is 2 1/2 yrs, never climbs out or even tries to. We are currently working on daytime potty training - he still wears a diaper for his naps & during the night. 

We want to take the front off his crib so its just a guard rail, but aren't sure if we should wait until the potty training is done first? Too much change too soon?

splatz
by Sarah on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Now that I went back & read it again I feel stupid lol. Sorry, I blame my lack of reading comprehension on sleep deprivation.  ;)

My oldest never did this. He was totally content in his toddler bed. I feel like a newbie all over again with my wild child!

Quoting DixieFlower:

My almost two yr old does climb out. He's been climbing out of his crib since he was a year old. With my oldest it took about a week of putting him back in his bed 100's of times before he'd start sleeping in it by himself. Yes, we were even doing this until 1am. He'd even get up in the middle of the night. So we'd put him in our bed and once he was asleep I'd have DH put him back in his toddler bed so he'd know that's where he sleeps.

Quoting splatz:

Quoting DixieFlower:

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:54 AM

I can't help. My son always played on our bed right before going to his room to go into his crib. Thought going to a toddler bed was going to be tough. It was easy as all get out. He was used to being on my bed all the time though. To play. So when he got his toddler bed I showed it to him and then just layed him down in his bed and did our night time routine. He was up for about a half hour that night but didn't try to leave his room and didn't get upset. The next morning he was in his bed. He took to it right away. I think it has something to do with the fact that we play on my bed before going down for either a nap or bedtime. So he was used to the size of a larger mattress before he got his own bed. Course I didn't make a fuss over it being a toddler bed either. Just wanted him to see it. I got him his fave character for his sheet set. He loves the comforter but will rip off the sheet when I put it on. I finally got tired of arguing with him and allow him to sleep how he wants to.

momma2b2008
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:55 AM
My oldest was 17 months. She kept climbing out of her crib so for her safety I had to switch her. And she did very well. It only took a few nights of sitting next to her until she fell alseep. And she never tried to get out of her bed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kathynej7142007
by Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:18 PM

My DD was 9months old when she went from a crib to a toddler bed. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN