Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Mom Sentenced to 6 Months in Jail for Letting Her Kids Skip School

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:38 AM
  • 13 Replies

Mom Sentenced to 6 Months in Jail for Letting Her Kids Skip School

Posted by Julie Ryan Evans on October 4, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Lorraine Cuevas Wow, California isn't kidding with its truancy laws. After her two kids -- a second grader and a third grader -- skipped a bunch of school, 34-year-old mom Lorraine Cuevas has been sent to the slammer. And not just for a quick lesson to be learned either -- for 180 days!

It's not the first time we've heard of parents or students facing jail to stop truancy, but this case is harsh to say the least. Of course, it wasn't just a couple of days that her children missed either. According to KMPH, between her two children, they missed 116 days of school last year -- that's 10 percent of the school year.

School officials say they tried other methods, like sending letters and making phone calls, but she still didn't manage to get her kids to school. So now she sits behind bars, and her kids are reportedly attending school regularly. Problem solved, right?

I'm not so sure.

When it comes to education, I'm as big of a proponent as any. Making sure my children get the best one possible is one of my biggest priorities as a parent, and I work hard to make sure they know that working hard in school and performing to the best of their abilities academically is a non-negotiable in our house. But, should a parent be jailed because they aren't of the same mindset? I don't think so.

It just seems like such a slippery slope. What about older children who defy their parents and don't go to school? Do we really want to see parents land in jail because of rebellious teenagers?

Also, there are so many reasons why parents let children skip school, not all of which necessarily come with a doctor's note. Not all of them are noble or in the child's best interest, but I always bristle at the government telling parents what they should and shouldn't do with their own children when it's not a matter of their health or safety. Putting them behind bars for going against the mainstream (as detrimental to their child's future as it may be) seems especially overzealous and not likely to address the real issues at hand as to why they're not sending them in the first place.

Click HERE to see video.

Do you think this woman's punishment is too much?

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Nope. She obviously didn't care to make sure they got to school. I know dh was called out once to help a parent get her 13 year old to get on the bus. The kid went, btw. Lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MichelleMc
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:48 AM

116 days! Are you kidding me! They seemed to do other things, when it failed, they did what was next, good! This is what needs to be done. Parents can't just allow their kids to skip. Kids see this as acceptable & now the kids are going! 116! We here in PA go 180 for the full year, are you kidding me they missed 116? Did the kids have to repeat? Are you kidding me? My gosh. 

Janet
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:06 PM

No, she got what she she deserved.

la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Wow, that's a lot of school

WritingMom777
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 2:32 PM

For 116 days of missed school?  Absolutely, she should be punished.  Our schools here are 180 days per year. So that would be 89% of the school year missed here. How in the world are her kids going to catch up? That is child abuse because if they get too far behind then they will start missing state testing and possibly not be able to get a high school diploma.   If you can not get a small child to school then you have bigger issues unless the child has a behavior disorder (and should be getting some sort of services for that).

If my teenager would not go to school I would be the one reporting them to the truancy officer myself. My mom let me skip a few times in high school.  BUT I was a straight "A" student on the honor role. And if this mom can't get them to school is she also not taking them to doctor's appointments.  Are they being fed regularly.  If she was homeschooling them, fine and dandy.  I don't find this overzealous at all, particularly because the school tried every means possible to notify her.  Sounds like a neglectful parent.

shadow_lark
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 2:36 PM
How is 116 days only 10%?

Anyway. i Dont agree with jail time for missed school. find a punishment, but giving jail time to truent children and or parents only sends the message that there are indeed more things important than school; which is opposite of the message they are trying to send.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Oct. 5, 2012 at 2:55 PM

I'm not sure that jail time will do any good. Who is to say that when she gets out that she will have learned her lession. She can still not let them go.

splatz
by Sarah on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:20 PM

That is what I was wondering. Even if you split the 116 days between the kids (since it was a combined total, right?). I don't see how it would only be 10%. 

Quoting shadow_lark:

Anyway. i Dont agree with jail time for missed school. find a punishment, but giving jail time to truent children and or parents only sends the message that there are indeed more things important than school; which is opposite of the message they are trying to send.

splatz
by Sarah on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:21 PM

I'm honestly not sure. I get that school is important. I just feel bad that the kids won't have their mom around for that long. Even if she is a sucky mom who lets them skip school. 

DixieFlower
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:48 PM

I was wondering the same thing about 116 days being 10%

Quoting shadow_lark:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)