Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

If you saw your husband/bf less days a week due to his new work, is that a strain

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:10 PM
  • 19 Replies

If your husband/bf had to work different hours forced by his work, and you saw him less days a week, would that be a strain on your relationship?  I think ours is in trouble.

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MsEmma88
by Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this
It depends in how you take it. I see mine on the weekends during the summer. And during the winter it can be two to three months. It's been like this for eight years. Yes I hate it but I choose him and I'm grateful he works so hard to support us. The winter is much worse (think shoveling snow while preggo) and we argue when I'm sore and grumpy. But we make it work the best we can
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MichelleMc
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:11 PM
1 mom liked this

It can be hard, but it is what you let it be. We were military, then hubby also went to school full time while also going to work full time. Work was also 3rd shift, so basically, I saw him one day a week. Military was 9 years, he went to school twice, so 3 years of that. We have been married 16 years & we are still happily married. Also have a son, so had to share him in that time.

You have to A. Make the most of the time you have & B. Care enough to understand that Quality not Quanity matters. 

You might not see each other alot, but sometimes it has to be. You have to give notes, send emails, send texts, make an effort to go out to eat, go for a walk at a mall, etc. It doesn't have to be awesome all out. Also, be understanding, you might need to say, I MISS YOU, this is rough, etc once in a while, but also, understand it can't be what you say daily & weekly. 

firstimemama21
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:53 PM

its hard my ( my spelling sucks just to warn you) fiance has two jobs and i  hardly get to see him but four hours  a night and it's hard cause some times i feel like our love is not like it should be or he is to tried  to love and cudle and hold me. and it is hard on me. so  i feel you.

DixieFlower
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:00 PM

It really depends on the two people involved. My DH was an OTR driver for a little while. We talked nightly on the phone before he'd go to sleep. We did okay.

OliviasMommy611
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:27 PM
Nope! We live a part and are stronger than ever!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Threes.Company
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:31 PM

My DH works a lot...  There is a lot of travel and a lot of late hours.  It can definitely be a strain at times.  If he started working even MORE than he does now, it would be a hurdle for us...  but we'd find a way through it.  Thank God we have close family near by, so even when he is gone, I am not totally isolated or on my own 100% of the time.  My family helps me when they can.

splatz
by Sarah on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:09 PM

I see my SO 2 hours a day during the week & on the weekends. It is really hard. And it does cause a lot of strain. Its hard to have a relationship with someone you rarely see. Especially when you have no alone time when you do get to see each other. 

Knightquester
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Over a year and a half ago my husband was laid off at his job that was 6 minutes from us and being hired less than three weeks of being laid off at a good job that is an hour and a half away and requires some lengthy hours.  He went from being home by 5 every day to being home by 8 every day.

A strain on our relationship... no, but I do miss him in the evenings.  No matter what we've always spent time with each other every night and we make the best we can of the time we have.  He's not the type to be stressful when he comes home and he enjoys spending time with his family and me.  Once the children are in bed we're cuddled next to each other either watching something or grouped up and playing the same game together.  He is and always will be my very best friend, I have great friends and even a best friend but none but my husband is my very best friend.

didyouthink76
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:51 PM
Quoting OliviasMommy611:

How long you been together?
OliviasMommy611
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:54 PM
Married 4 years in October.

Quoting didyouthink76:

Quoting OliviasMommy611:

How long you been together?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN