Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

hospitals these days!

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:26 PM
  • 22 Replies
Its really crazy, when u go to the er for something ur so concerned about and for something that really needs to b checked out immediatly, and the minute the lady comes in to ask about how it will b paid for, u tell her u have nothing they discharge you and wont see you but they send a bill of over a hundred dollars jus for vitals and asking questions its ridiculious... What ever happen to setting up payments or something!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DixieFlower
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Hmm if it is an emergency situation they have to get you stable. My mom lost her job two years ago so she also lost her health insurance. Dec 2011 I took her to the ER because she had thrown up large blood clots. Now by the time they triaged her she had about passed out due to the loss of blood because of internal bleeding. However, once they saw her BP they took her right back. She had emergency surgery to band several esophageal varaicies. During surgery she recieved 3 pints of blood. In recovery she recieved another 3 pints. She was in the ICU for three days and spent three more days in a regular room. I answered all the questions while they were doing the emergency surgery (at the time I just thought she'd gone for some testing). They knew she didn't have insurance or the money to pay for this. During her stay someone from the hospital came to see her. They got her signed up for our state medical plan. When she got home we got a statement from the hospital that this visit was 40K. However, what they sent wasn't a bill that insurance was pending.   Does your area have a health dept or any sort of medical clinics?

OliviasMommy611
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:23 PM
Um more details. We can't refuse to care for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2gr8tgirls
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:17 PM

I think there's some sort of law that states you can't be refused emergency medical care because you can't pay.  I'm pretty sure they have to get you stable at least.

sab169
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:56 PM
Went in to see about a possible prolapse i may have but because i didnt have any type of insurance they wont see me until next month when i do get it... I reported the nurses that had came in to see me and the dr that said would be back but never came back to the room... So now im waiting for them to look into it, because i know before i mean its been a few yrs since ive gone to the er they use to do some sort of payment plans or they would work things out

Quoting OliviasMommy611:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shadow_lark
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:03 PM
Is itva private hospital? i think they're the only ones that can turn you away. others have to treat you.

Quoting sab169:

Went in to see about a possible prolapse i may have but because i didnt have any type of insurance they wont see me until next month when i do get it... I reported the nurses that had came in to see me and the dr that said would be back but never came back to the room... So now im waiting for them to look into it, because i know before i mean its been a few yrs since ive gone to the er they use to do some sort of payment plans or they would work things out

Quoting OliviasMommy611:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DixieFlower
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Actually unless it's an emergency they don't have to treat you. They can refer you to a clinic or primary doctor after triaging you if they feel it doesn't warrant an ER visit.  A lot of hospitals have started to do this to cut down on the non emergency visits in their ER's.

Quoting shadow_lark:

Is itva private hospital? i think they're the only ones that can turn you away. others have to treat you.

Quoting sab169:

Quoting OliviasMommy611:

DixieFlower
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:14 PM

If you are talking about a uterine prolapse, that's not really considered an emergency. Have you looked to see if your area has any sort of gyn clinics or anything similar?

Quoting sab169:

Quoting OliviasMommy611:

almondpigeon
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:08 AM

where are you?  we are self pay (by choice -- long story) and i've had several ER visits.  when they ask about insurance, i say "self pay", get treated, go home & get the bill in the mail.  i've never had an ER discharge me b/c of my insurance status.

ZakkarysMom
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:13 AM
This is true. At my hospital there is a sign at the receptionist desk that states it. They cant refuse to see you but once you are stable they can discharge you.

Quoting mom2gr8tgirls:

I think there's some sort of law that states you can't be refused emergency medical care because you can't pay.  I'm pretty sure they have to get you stable at least.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:05 AM

I don't know....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)