Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

hospitals these days!

Posted by   + Show Post
Its really crazy, when u go to the er for something ur so concerned about and for something that really needs to b checked out immediatly, and the minute the lady comes in to ask about how it will b paid for, u tell her u have nothing they discharge you and wont see you but they send a bill of over a hundred dollars jus for vitals and asking questions its ridiculious... What ever happen to setting up payments or something!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:26 PM
Replies (11-20):
kaitybird
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Sorry to hear about what is going on, but going to the ER is so very expensive.  IF you have some urgent cares around you they are so much cheaper.  

I do not mean to be rude or mean, but so many people run to the er for everything and in turn it drives up all the medical costs for everyone.  

NO we do not use the emergency room unless we have to.  We usually go to urgent care of the regular dr.  

I hope that you get everything taken care of and you feel better.  

zumbafreak11
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Before my 2009 diagnosis of endometriosis, I went to 2 different ERs several times (one of which was an ambulance ride) only to be blown off as "a stomach virus".  Ummm... No, just because I'm on Obamacare doesn't make me stupid.  I know what the symptoms of my endometriosis are like.  It's like just because I'm poor, I don't deserve quality health care.  I understand where you're coming from.  Unfortunately, it seems to be the case in a lot of hospitals.  I guess my brother got lucky last time he was in his local ER.  He was there only half an hour and they didn't just blow him off, but I think it has something to do with the fact that my SIL is a nurse in the ER and his FIL is a well-respected doctor in the community.

Venae
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 5:16 PM

If not a life/death emergency, you go to the county (or charity) hospital.  Life/death, they will stabilize you and either admit you or send you to that same hospital.

sllytnkrbl
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 5:37 PM
State supported hospitals are required to treat you regardless of your ability to pay. Privately run hospitals do not fall under the same category, they can refuse to treat you, although in a true emergency due to legal issues most will not turn you away unless they know you are not in a life threatening situation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DixieFlower
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Actually a state supported hospital can refer you to a clinic if they feel that your condition is not an emergency. They do not have to treat you in non emergency situations. The Emergency Treatment and Labor Act (EMTALA) entitles you to three things: screening, emergency care and appropriate transfers. A hospital must provide "stabilizing care" for a patient with an emergency medical condition. The hospital must screen for the emergency and provide the care without inquiring about your ability to pay.

"If you're not experiencing an emergency, and you don't have medical insurance or the ability to pay, the hospital emergency room is not legally required to treat you. The hospital will most likely direct you to your own doctor or a community health clinic."

Quoting sllytnkrbl:

State supported hospitals are required to treat you regardless of your ability to pay. Privately run hospitals do not fall under the same category, they can refuse to treat you, although in a true emergency due to legal issues most will not turn you away unless they know you are not in a life threatening situation.

sllytnkrbl
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:58 PM
I took for granted that people would realize I was referring to emergency treatment. My fault I should have been more specific.

Quoting DixieFlower:

Actually a state supported hospital can refer you to a clinic if they feel that your condition is not an emergency. They do not have to treat you in non emergency situations. The Emergency Treatment and Labor Act (EMTALA) entitles you to three things: screening, emergency care and appropriate
transfers. A hospital must provide "stabilizing care" for a patient with
an emergency medical condition. The hospital must screen for the
emergency and provide the care without inquiring about your ability to
pay.

"If you're not experiencing an emergency, and you don't have medical insurance
or the ability to pay, the hospital emergency room is not legally
required to treat you. The hospital will most likely direct you to your
own doctor or a community health clinic."

Quoting sllytnkrbl:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DixieFlower
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:39 PM

I'm a bit confused. If you knew you were experiencing symptoms of endometriosis why did you go to the ER?

Quoting zumbafreak11:

Before my 2009 diagnosis of endometriosis, I went to 2 different ERs several times (one of which was an ambulance ride) only to be blown off as "a stomach virus".  Ummm... No, just because I'm on Obamacare doesn't make me stupid.  I know what the symptoms of my endometriosis are like.  It's like just because I'm poor, I don't deserve quality health care.  I understand where you're coming from.  Unfortunately, it seems to be the case in a lot of hospitals.  I guess my brother got lucky last time he was in his local ER.  He was there only half an hour and they didn't just blow him off, but I think it has something to do with the fact that my SIL is a nurse in the ER and his FIL is a well-respected doctor in the community.

zumbafreak11
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:59 PM

The P.A. that I see said that I had polycystic ovaries, but she's dumber than a box full of rocks - I just see her because she accepts my insurance.  Anyway, I didn't know prior to the diagnosis that endometriosis (not polycystic ovary syndrome) can and does hurt like hell.  When I went via the ambulance, I thought for sure my appendix had ruptured, but I don't go to the ER anymore.  The symptoms are a real pain in the butt, but not unmanagable.

Quoting DixieFlower:

I'm a bit confused. If you knew you were experiencing symptoms of endometriosis why did you go to the ER?

Quoting zumbafreak11:

DixieFlower
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Ahh ok that makes sense. I've had PCOS and endometriosis and yeah it can hurt like hell. I had a ovarian cyst rupture about 4 yrs ago and it was awful.

Quoting zumbafreak11:

The P.A. that I see said that I had polycystic ovaries, but she's dumber than a box full of rocks - I just see her because she accepts my insurance.  Anyway, I didn't know prior to the diagnosis that endometriosis (not polycystic ovary syndrome) can and does hurt like hell.  When I went via the ambulance, I thought for sure my appendix had ruptured, but I don't go to the ER anymore.  The symptoms are a real pain in the butt, but not unmanagable.

Quoting DixieFlower:

SlapItHigh
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Sorry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)