Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

picketing nap time

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:35 PM
  • 21 Replies
The past week or two lexi, who is 27 months, has been refusing to take naps. The only naps she has had are either bc she flat out passed out or bc show fell asleep on the way home.

My hours have changed at work to where I can bring her with me. I am a personal care attendant for my 3 year old sil, just in case anyone is currently scratching their heads. Lol. It is difficult for me to get lexi to lay down for a nap when I'm supposed to be doing therapies with Lilly. Should I just give up naps all together? She fell asleep in the car this afternoon (I got off at 3) and she slept for an hour. It seems to be affecting bedtime bc she won't go to bed come bedtime. She holders, screams, cries, and says she needs me.

Ugh what do I do!?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OliviasMommy611
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:30 PM
No Bueno! She says she needs you? That's adorable !!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OliviasMommy611
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:30 PM
And your sil is 3? Interesting dynamic!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:52 PM
Oh for sure! Lol. My in-laws adopted Tito, who will be 16 in December, Quincy who will turn 4 tomorrow (10/9), and then Lilly just turned 3 in august. Dh has 2 bio sisters, one is 25 the other is 21. Quincy is nonverbal autistic and Lilly is the medical mystery- no one is certain what she has aside from her heart condition.

Quoting OliviasMommy611:

And your sil is 3? Interesting dynamic!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2gr8tgirls
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Well she's probably refusing bedtime because she's exhausted.  She's not in a crib anymore is she?  I just make Oliver lay down and eventually he passes out because the room is dark and quiet.  Have you tried white noise?  I have to do that with him sometimes with a fan.  I wouldn't forgo naps yet, she obviously still needs them.  Poor punkin.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:28 AM

That's a hard one. If she didn't need them any more I would say give them up. Some do at that age. But she seems to still need a nap.

quiet

goddess99
by Michelle on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:11 AM

2 is kinda young to not have a nap, but if she's just going to fight you then I don't know if you should bother fighting especially since you are both at work. Idk that's a tough one.

puertoricangeek
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:46 AM

I know this probably will sound horrible but here we go. 

My son is 28 months and will not take a nap. He hasn't for about 3 months now. Funny story. This past Sunday (my only day off,  I work 6 days a week at 50 hours a week. DH can't work because we can't afford day care) and all of a sudden I realilized that I hadn't heard LO in about 10 minutes. 

A little back story. I am a coffee addict! I have been drinking coffee daily since I was 6, I am now 25.

So I walk in his bedroom and the small coffee cup that my husband was drinking out of was on the bookself and he was lying on the floor with a pillow, blanket and his "Cars" pillow. I walked closer and he was snoreing his little but off. I had been about 45 minutes since DH remembered last drinking his coffee. So about half of a regular coffee cup of coffee, weak, will cream and sugar, about 45 minutes of strait cardio, and a sugar/caffeeine crash and you get the first nap in 3 months. 

Yes I did call his DR and he said he should be fine. He actually stated that most of the children that he sees are drinking soda and other high sugar/ caffeeine drinks at his age. 

DR did tell me if I give him sugar I should give it to him about an hour before I want him to take a nap/go to bed. Just a thought. DH tried it yesterday and he said DS slept for about an hour. 

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Hope you can get things to work out in time...

SlapItHigh
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:07 PM

That's rough!  IME, this is the age where kids start protesting nap regardless of any extra issues such as having to take them to a job.  Even though they protest naps around this age, they aren't quite ready to go the day with no sleep which leads to crankiness and bed-time troubles.  I've gone through this with all of mine even though I'm a sahm.  I have done the driving around trick to get them to fall asleep or insintute "quite time" in place of a nap.  Not sure if that would be doable on the job but it's worth a try.

suetoo
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:40 PM
Hold firm. Don't let her get away with no nap. She needs them. Be firm. Be consistent. Give her a 10 minute warning till sleep time. we make a big thing about "nests" and snuggles. As we speak, my 4 yr old, 6 month old, and 3 wk old grandchildren are sleeping. Then we have snack. Every day when here, the 4 yr old says she wishes she doesn't have to have a nap. She got moved to the day bed when she became a big sister, and zonks out soundly within 15 mins. She gets to "rest" with a book. Try a sleeping bag so her nest travels with her. Say I'm tucking you in and going to help Lilly. Then leave. At bedtime, bath, cuddle, book, leave. Be extra firm and this is an age appropriate phase. Good luck.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)