Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

6 months pregnant, and very stressed out!

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:12 AM
  • 14 Replies

hi, im 24 weeks pregnant. my babys father is calling me unfit and saying hes gonna take away custody when the baby is born. i do everything i can for my baby. i go to the doctor, i take my vitamins and stay away from anything i can that could be potentially harmful to my baby. he is bipolar and doesnt take his meds. what steps can i take to make sure i dont get my little boy taken from me? im very stressed out!

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
armyvet06
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:14 AM
Nothing can happen to your baby unless the he can prove that you are unfit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TeaHound
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:24 AM

This.

Quoting armyvet06:

shadow_lark
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:26 AM
This. and it may...no it is worth mentioning to your doctor so that they know to watch for him when baby is born.

Quoting armyvet06:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OliviasMommy611
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:47 AM
:( what they said.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WonderWomanSV
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Also keep a record on all his actions and behaviors towards you and the baby. Try to have witnesses side with you on his bipolar issues.

splatz
by Sarah on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this
Hes just mad and making threats. You have to do something very seriously wrong for a mother to lose their child. Especially a newborn. Just try to avoid him whenever possible and document as much as you can. It will be important if he does try to drag things into court later.

If things get bad enough you will be able to use that should you need an order of protection.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:50 AM
I agree with both ladies. This needs to be documented just on Tue off chancehe tries to pull something.

Quoting shadow_lark:

This. and it may...no it is worth mentioning to your doctor so that they know to watch for him when baby is born.

Quoting armyvet06:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jamamama00
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:58 PM
1 mom liked this

My ex pulled the same crap. I was SO worried...I was doing nothing wrong, but that didn't mean he couldn't make things up! When I finally consulted w/ an attorney, the lawyer just rolled his eyes and told me, "They ALL say that!!!" It's actually a form of abuse for him to tell you those things, so document it if you can (text, email, etc.) Him telling you this crap could actually hurt his case if he did pursue custody,,,but I would almost bet my life on it that his threats are nothing but crap coming out of his mouth! If you stay away from drugs, don't drag random men around your child, and feed, clothe, and care for your baby, no court will remove him from you. As an added note: if you breastfeed, the court is much less likely to grant him overnight visits.

salamandersmom
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Hmmm.  Do you go to church?  I would call your Pastor and chat, if you do.  A better thing would be to call Social Services, they could give you better legal advice, but seriously, if you can stay under the radar with them, you probably should.  (they can be a real nightmare, but you might  be able to call someone and just ask questions.)  A lawyer could also help...  let you know what to do to get the legal custody stuff taken care of.  I"m assuming you are not married to the baby's Daddy.  But, if he is bi-polar and not taking his meds, it's in the baby's best interest to be with the more stable person, which is you. 

salamandersmom
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:23 PM

This is very good advice.  Document, document.  And she's right, IT IS MENTAL ABUSE to say this crap to you.  And of course you are worried.  Baby isn't even born yet, and already you are acting like the mother and worried for baby.  Save the texts and e-mails, and maybe, if possible, save hard copies in a second file in case he manages to delete the originals.  Don't tell him about the back up copy.  And, write a diary journalling all of this, as well as when you go to the doctor, what they said.  If needed for court, you can get copies of your medical file.  The medical info, plus your diary, are admissable as evidence, especially with the back up copies of stuff he said.  And to the list of things that the other lady said I would add... make sure the house is clean, which gives a safe environment for baby. 

And notice she said the guy was her EX...

Quoting jamamama00:

My ex pulled the same crap. I was SO worried...I was doing nothing wrong, but that didn't mean he couldn't make things up! When I finally consulted w/ an attorney, the lawyer just rolled his eyes and told me, "They ALL say that!!!" It's actually a form of abuse for him to tell you those things, so document it if you can (text, email, etc.) Him telling you this crap could actually hurt his case if he did pursue custody,,,but I would almost bet my life on it that his threats are nothing but crap coming out of his mouth! If you stay away from drugs, don't drag random men around your child, and feed, clothe, and care for your baby, no court will remove him from you. As an added note: if you breastfeed, the court is much less likely to grant him overnight visits.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)