Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Teens Shouldn't Be Allowed to Swear in Public

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:51 AM
  • 23 Replies

Teens Shouldn't Be Allowed to Swear in Public

Posted by Jenny Erikson on October 12, 2012 at 7:31 AM

no profanity signLast summer the town of Middleborough, Massachusetts, voted to ban loud, public swearing by enforcing a 1968 law that would allow police to fine violators a $20 fine. Apparently, teenagers and other young people were deterring customers from businesses by being loud and obnoxious in public areas in front of stores.

This week it was reviewed by Massachusetts Attorney General Martha Coakley, who said Tuesday that the original bylaw violates First Amendment free speech guarantees. She called for the town to take it off the books or amend it.

I’m an ardent defender of the Bill of Rights, so I can see where this is coming from, but I’m also a defender of public decency. I won’t try to pretend that my kids have never heard a curse word in our own home, but I can completely relate to avoiding areas filled with hooligans setting a bad example.

Yes, we have a right to say what we want. There’s an adage that says, “I may disagree with what you say, but I’ll defend your right to say it.” The thing is that that only goes so far, and I don’t think it should apply in this case.

Freedom of speech doesn’t cover yelling FIRE in a crowed movie theater when there is none, and it shouldn’t protect public nuisances. I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that teenagers shouting obscenities at each other in front of stores that might otherwise be frequented by paying customers are nuisances.

It’s sad that this is even a thing. Where are these children’s parents? Kids will be kids, and they’ll push the boundaries of propriety, sure, but come on people! Wouldn’t you be horrified to know your teenager was out shouting dirty words in the middle of town?

My kids have acted inappropriately in public before, and guess what? They were reprimanded for it. When I was a kid, I did what I thought I could get away with, and now my kids do the same. Why do these kids think they can get away with atrocious behavior like this?

Oh yeah. Because Martha Coakley says they can.

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Swearing doesn't really bother me.

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:35 PM

interesting

MichelleMc
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this

There is a time & a place. I also always tell my son it shows your brains. I am not saying I don't swear, or in denial my son at 17 doesn't, but I understand to have respect for others, as he does too. There is NO NEED IN THE WORLD for people to swear loudly in public where others have to put up with it. Respect others, act like you have the brains to know proper words to use versus only the "bad words".

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:52 PM
I think it's just something they do because it's considered "taboo". Lol. What I find obnoxious is when they laugh and holler as if no one else is around. I get it, Joe schmoe is a riot but to laugh so lout I can hear you across the store is not necessary. I always tell my children that sort of behavior, running and acting like you have no brain, is not something they should grow to mimic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:54 PM

I feel the same way.

Quoting MichelleMc:

There is a time & a place. I also always tell my son it shows your brains. I am not saying I don't swear, or in denial my son at 17 doesn't, but I understand to have respect for others, as he does too. There is NO NEED IN THE WORLD for people to swear loudly in public where others have to put up with it. Respect others, act like you have the brains to know proper words to use versus only the "bad words".

georgeisfun
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:06 PM

The swearing teenagers don't really bother me. It's the foul-mouthed adults that tick me off. I shouldn't have to hear it, and my children definitely shouldn't, either.

Its.me.Sam.
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:09 PM
2 moms liked this

why is the censorship just for teens 

ZakkarysMom
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:12 PM
LOL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snuggiewoogie
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Looking back now I kinda wish I did not swear and curse as a teen. At the time you think it's the cool thing to do but it's not good and just makes you seems like a person that does not have good manners.I hope when my daughter gets to be a teen she does not have a potty mouth......

DixieFlower
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Here is the thing when we start limiting speech because it's a "nuisance". Who defines that "nuisance"? When does it stop? A slippery slope starts when the law starts limiting speech. The reason Freedom of speech doesn't cover yelling Fire when there isn't one is because that can actually cause harm to those in that building. People would panic and could possibly trample others while trying to evacuate. Cursing on the other hand doesn't cause that same effect. While I don't agree with anyone being loud, obnoxious and cursing in public I don't think there shold be a law against cursing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)