Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

How do I make it stop!?

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:35 PM
  • 21 Replies

My 3 1/2yo ds throws a total melt down shit fit every time he hears the words "no, not right now, later, in a minute, hang on"..... I am about to go freaking insane. I have tried time outs, ignoring him until he can calm down, explaining you dont get your way when you wig out about stupid shit.... it happens several times a day. I know its just the age, but i need a remedy

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
georgeisfun
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Well, when you figure that out let me know. My 4 year old foster son does this and now my 2 year old has picked up on his example.

PEEK05
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:06 PM
3 moms liked this

Just stay consistent.  I get eye to eye with my daughter when she keeps saying please please please after I've said no or not yet, in a little while.  When I get down eye to eye, I tell her "Stop for a minute.  Stop whining and listen to my words." 95% of the time she will listen and then we talk about it.  The other 5% she just wants to keep whining so I send her to her room and tell her not to come out until she's ready to talk like a big girl.  My daughter is also 3.5 years old.

snuggiewoogie
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Ugh! That is tough.....

CaptainCookie
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:09 AM
1 mom liked this
Truthfully? I will get eye to eye and with a mean tone I will say that when I say no I mean no. And if you don't listen I will spank your fucking ass. Now. Do I actually spank? Rarely. But I have the look that says I just might.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Threes.Company
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:11 AM
Stick to your guns! I make my son go to his room, because I don't want to listen to it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
salamandersmom
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:20 AM
1 mom liked this

You're really doing all that you can... just say "No one likes it when you act like that."  Or "you are not going to get your way if you act like that."  and then do the time out and/or ignore him until he calms down.  If he's the kind of kid who can't stand to be alone, you could do the time outs in his room away from you or siblings, telling him he can come out when he can act nice.    Otherwise, patience (as much as you can muster) until he outgrows this is all you CAN do. 

salamandersmom
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:27 AM
1 mom liked this

lol... did something similar once.  My middle son - God he was a heathen.  He did grow up to be a person I'm proud of!  DS2 wanted to do something, and I said NO.  So, he said that if I didn't let him, he was going to call CPS and tell them I hit him.   For a second I was alarmed.  You know how they are, you are judged guilty no matter what.  Then I got mad.  I went over, and got the cordless phone down off the wall and handed it to him.  I smiled my evil bitch smile - which I don't use often - and I told him in this chilling voice that he should go ahead and call.  But that by the time they got there, he really would be an abused child.  He looked at me, and looked down at the phone in his hand.  Then he looked back at me, and looked back down at the phone.  And he tiptoed right by me and hung the phone back up.  And that was the end of the issue.  I guess I must have looked like one scary, mean bitch...  I know I would never have laid a hand on him, but he didn't know that.  And I'm glad I called him on his bluff, because otherwise I would have lived in fear of my  own kids. 

Quoting CaptainCookie:

Truthfully? I will get eye to eye and with a mean tone I will say that when I say no I mean no. And if you don't listen I will spank your fucking ass. Now. Do I actually spank? Rarely. But I have the look that says I just might.

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 5:23 AM
Landon threw a couple fits as a toddler but that phase ended quickly. Lexi, on the other hand, is my fit thrower. Cries, screams, yells "fine!", and even stomps her little foot. I'm still trying to figure out how to handle her but we tend to take her to her room. She is told if she wants to throw a fit she can do so in her room and when done, come back out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
convinny2
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:43 AM
My son does this so I tell him he is acting like a baby... oh he hates that he says "I'm not a baby I'm a big boy" and the fit usually stops if not I pull out a bottle but once he sees that it stops for sure cause in this house babies do not get to do fun stuff like his brother
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beachforever
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:51 AM
My 2.5yr old son does the same! Complete total meltdown!!!! Stomps his feet screams throws himself on floor throws his toys stomps on his toys etc. If I try to explain or soothe him it gets worse and if I ignore him it gets soooo crazy!!! He tells me he's the boss!!! LOL I assume its a phase. I've tried time outs but he won't stay seated. I just give "the look" and eventually he says I'm sorry mommy I'm sorry mommy!!!....and then throws another fit 10min later lol toddlers!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)