Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Moms...please weigh in

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:36 PM
  • 22 Replies

Hi Moms,

I'm a mom and an elementary teacher and I have a question for you. When you volunteer in your child's classroom, do you take your "younger than school age" children along with you? If so, why do you do that? If not, why don't you.

Thanks!

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CreziaMommyTo2
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:37 PM

i do, because DD loves to be involved and she has fun, and the teachers dont mind

georgeisfun
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:02 PM

I don't have any school aged children, however, my friend has 3 in school and a 2 year old. I usually baby sit the 2 year old when she is volunteering because the point of it is to work with the students, not the 2 year old.

DixieFlower
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:19 PM

It really depends on the schools policy. If the school allows it then yes I'd bring my younger child with me. If they don't then I wouldn't.

mymommasgirl
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:36 PM
I don't my dd is 4 and in preschool. When I do volunteer I want to be able to focus on & with my dd. Ds is 2 and I know he won't sit still for very long. The teacher never said I couldn't bring ds I jus choose not to because I think more would get done with him not there
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 5:26 AM
1 mom liked this
I haven't been able to volunteer in the classroom yet however I wouldn't bring my 2 year old with me even if I could. I would spend more time chasing her down than anything else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Janet
by Ruby Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:57 PM

I don't have one at home. But if I did it would depend on the age of the child. If the child was 4 and wasn't in preschool at that time of the day, yes I would. I would never bring a young child with me that would disrupt the class.

Aubs1990
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 2:20 PM

I haven't Volunteered yet. My DD is 3 and in Head Start. My Son is 2 and he don't like to listen a lot and likes to get into things. I think it would be very hard to bring him and the Teachers might not like it because he wont listen.

WitchyMom2
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:35 PM

I actually home school but, I can't imagine doing that. It seems to me that would be a giant distration to the class. Perhaps if you are going to help with an outdoor carnival or event but not helping in the class room on an average day.

Venae
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:58 AM
2 moms liked this

I would bring my son because he was well behaved, as were most of the sibs.  But there were those whose little darlings ran around creating havoc.  The mess/trouble they caused wasn't worth the little help those moms were able to give.

Threes.Company
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:59 AM
No, I don't bring them. It's not allowed at our school. It would be too distracting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)