Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Hi Moms,

I'm a mom and an elementary teacher and I have a question for you. When you volunteer in your child's classroom, do you take your "younger than school age" children along with you? If so, why do you do that? If not, why don't you.

Thanks!

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:36 PM
Replies (11-20):
convinny2
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:44 AM
I really hate taking my youngest to school functions. I always try to make sure hubby is off to 3 year old. But if I promise 7 year old I will be there and DH can't get off I take him but he knows the rules you sit down stay quiet. I tell him big boy school is just like the library.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ididntdoit111
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I did not. (my kids are older now) I did not because the younger ones take my focus off helping and end up causing adistraction. Annnnd, my boys loved when I volunteered for THEM, it takes away that specialness of mommy in my classroom!

OliviasMommy611
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 4:28 PM
I only have one child but if I had more I wouldn't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomTeacher621
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Well, then here's a follow up question for you all...if the school doesn't have an official policy, but I would prefer they not come along, do I look like a rotten teacher for saying so?  How would you react if a teacher respectfully asked that younger sibs stay at home?
I have two reasons for feeling this way: first, they can be distracting. Like someone else said, if the mom has to pay attention to keeping her little one busy, she really isn't doing that much for the older child. Second, I also agree with the response that it takes away from the special-ness of mom being there for the older child.

I've had parents bring younger siblings to classroom parties and then want them to have treats, do crafts, etc. I'd like to say no, but don't want parents to just never volunteer then. It's a very fine line.

SlapItHigh
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 1:48 AM

I don't volunteer much b/c I have a younger than school age child at home but when I do, I bring my child.  I do that b/c it's the only possible option.  Not a whole lot of adult babysitters lying around.  My babysitters are high school and college kids who go to school during the day during the school year.

SlapItHigh
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Quoting MomTeacher621:

Well, then here's a follow up question for you all...if the school doesn't have an official policy, but I would prefer they not come along, do I look like a rotten teacher for saying so?  How would you react if a teacher respectfully asked that younger sibs stay at home?
I have two reasons for feeling this way: first, they can be distracting. Like someone else said, if the mom has to pay attention to keeping her little one busy, she really isn't doing that much for the older child. Second, I also agree with the response that it takes away from the special-ness of mom being there for the older child.

I've had parents bring younger siblings to classroom parties and then want them to have treats, do crafts, etc. I'd like to say no, but don't want parents to just never volunteer then. It's a very fine line.

I wouldn't mind...I'd rather know how you felt one way or the other.  You don't want my younger child there?  Fine by me.  Just know that I won't be helping out in the classroom.  If you have enough volunteers without people like me, then you should be fine.

mimi1207
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 9:39 AM

I agree with you!! I am an elementary school age mom, and a toddler twin mom and  an elementary teacher and I could not agree more!!!

Quoting Venae:

I would bring my son because he was well behaved, as were most of the sibs.  But there were those whose little darlings ran around creating havoc.  The mess/trouble they caused wasn't worth the little help those moms were able to give.

mcginnisc
by Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Mine are in private school so they don't have volunteers in the rooms..period. However, last year when I was Room Mom, when we had parties I did take my youngest with me to the parties and the field trips. They encouraged it. This year, I am Room Mom for both of the girls' classes and their parties are at different times on the same day so my youngest will again be at her sisters' class party since she gets out at noon. Next year, their parties will be at the same time so she won't go to her sister's parties. 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

TeaHound
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 9:51 AM
I homeschool now, but my older 2kids went to school for a couple of years. before my 3rd was old enough to go, I did painting in each of the others' classes and, yes, I did bring the LO. Reasons: LO was well-behaved, teacher said it was okay, I didn't want to put LO in the preK room (I think they were napping anyway &after LO didn't anymore by then), didn't have anyone to leave LO with. I think it worked mostly b/c it was a small private school. The 1st/2nd grade class only had about 15 students and the other class was even smaller.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sidneyb
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 9:51 AM
I dont volunteer at my 4 yo school because I have an 18 month old. It is against school policy but if it wasnt i still wouldnt. How can i help if i am distracted with my younger child
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN