Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I just being paranoid?

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:55 PM
  • 65 Replies
DF and I are getting married sometime in the next couple months at the courthouse, and our reception will be in December. I am worried that no friends will show up. When we had my baby shower when I was preg with DS, I only had 1 friend show up of all of the 12 or so friends that were invites. It was a little disappointing. Its not that I wanted more stuff as we got way more than we ever used, but I wanted them there to help me celebrate our baby. Now I'm afraid that no one will come to the wedding. I know there are at least a couple people that I am inviting that won't be able to make it, since the reception in on a friends sons birthday, but what about all the other people I would like there to have a good time with us? I am probably thinking way more into it than I should be. Someone please reassure me and make me feel better about this. Of all the things that I have to worry about about the wedding, like paying for and preparing food and deccorations, etc, this is the one that is getting to me the most.
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
itsblissmas
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I could be wrong on this but I was thinking that "they" say to expect about 40% of the people you invite to actually show up. I think there are different things to take into consideration like the time of the years (holidays and such). Also, I think people may be more likely to come if they know each other. Like if you invite 12 people and no one knows each other they might not be as motivated as they would if they had others they'd know already. Sorry I'm rambling here.

I sure do hope the people you invite show up. Congratulations to you on your upcoming marriage!

wedding

cmabbott
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Did you sent out RSVPs??? 

notjstanothrmom
by Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 11:17 AM
3 moms liked this

Sounds like your friends aren't really real friends? :/

STVUstudent
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 11:31 AM
2 moms liked this

did the 11 no-shows for the baby shower RSVP?  If so, well, you may be one of those "if nothing better comes up" kind of events, in which case, you can't really tell how they will react THIS time.  Is anything good on TV that night?

You may want to follow up with your RSVPs, so you don't waste too much  money on food.  You may want to stop considering these folks your "friends" and move them to the "casual aquaintance" category...

Shani527
by Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

IDK. none of my friends that I invited showed, except my dads friend and her son my age and my friend I asked to stand by me when we were being married. So sorry but I got nothing to say really,

But even though no one I personally invited showed up I didnt care. It wasnt about other being there to enjoy it with me. It was me being with my husband enjoying our first moments of being married together! I could care less that my friends didnt show up!

JanuaryBaby06
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 11:46 AM

i dont know how your friends think but  i am far more likely to show up to a wedding then a shower of any kind.

DAHLONEGAMOMMY
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Make it about you and your husband. If no one shows up, the two people that mattered did. Plus, people are more likely to come if it doesnt require them to buy something. They get to party and aren't going to be expected to bring a present, even if it is customary. I would concentrate on the celebrations meaning and not the people who come. If you do that, you will have a good time. If the others don't show, its on them. 

Queen_Sheila
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I think a wedding reception is more important than a friend's son's birthday, they should come.

Starleet
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:18 PM

I will never have a wedding and I stopped having birthday parties because I only had 2 people show up to my baby shower and no one shows up for the birthday parties. When we get married, it will be at the court house.

Luv2BaMommy9809
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:21 PM

This...

Quoting DAHLONEGAMOMMY:

Make it about you and your husband. If no one shows up, the two people that mattered did. Plus, people are more likely to come if it doesnt require them to buy something. They get to party and aren't going to be expected to bring a present, even if it is customary. I would concentrate on the celebrations meaning and not the people who come. If you do that, you will have a good time. If the others don't show, its on them. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)