Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Am I just being paranoid?

DF and I are getting married sometime in the next couple months at the courthouse, and our reception will be in December. I am worried that no friends will show up. When we had my baby shower when I was preg with DS, I only had 1 friend show up of all of the 12 or so friends that were invites. It was a little disappointing. Its not that I wanted more stuff as we got way more than we ever used, but I wanted them there to help me celebrate our baby. Now I'm afraid that no one will come to the wedding. I know there are at least a couple people that I am inviting that won't be able to make it, since the reception in on a friends sons birthday, but what about all the other people I would like there to have a good time with us? I am probably thinking way more into it than I should be. Someone please reassure me and make me feel better about this. Of all the things that I have to worry about about the wedding, like paying for and preparing food and deccorations, etc, this is the one that is getting to me the most.
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:55 PM
Replies (31-40):
Luvmybooskies
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Good luck. My SIL told me that her friends got married and about 30 people were no shows....They paid 90 dollars a plate for their reception!!! 

Yuriko_chan
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 4:35 PM

We had about 15-20 people out of the 60 we invited show up.

1squishysmom
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 4:41 PM

We had about 200 people at our wedding reception. Honestly, 190 were family. The few friends that came were close ones. We had lots of people, but it didn't really matter. I could only see my new husband in my eyes. Yes, we had a blast, but the amount of people didn't make it more fun, but maybe a little more stressful. It made me worry that everyone was having a great time and everything was perfect during the planning stages. When all the RSVPs came rolling in, it kind of made my tummy spin. haha. In the end, you and your husband are the special people on that day. Don't worry about something that might not happen. You will have a beautiful day, regardless. Just have fun with people that are there for YOU that day, They are the ones that took the time to share your special day, no matter how many there are.

cookinmommyof1
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 5:07 PM
I've never had "good friends". They were pretty much friendly acquaintances. People I hung out with we weren't super good friends. What made it more disappointing was that I had gone to all of their showers. After the shower I thanked people and made and "thank you" post of fb, and the people who had rsvp 'ed were like "I didn't know about it". I call bullshit on that one. Expecially since I had been in contact with everyone a lot since the date had to be changed since my gpa died shortly before the shower.

Quoting hyper_bunny:

Are they good friends or just acquaintances?

Quoting cookinmommyof1:

My shower was in february and the weather was beautiful. Everyone that was iinvited (except for family) lived in the town it was in. There will be free food and booze. Lol

Quoting hyper_bunny:

They say to expect a certain percentage not to be there. Was your baby shower on a holiday, around a holiday, or a day that had really bad weather?? Why didn't anyone else show, was it hard to find or too far away? There are many reasons why someone might not be able to attend. I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you have free food and some alcohol, I am sure a lot of people will show up. lol 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cookinmommyof1
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 5:10 PM
The friend who's son has a bday that day is invited, and her sister also. I would understand if they couldn't make it, but she has her sons part in the early afternoon, and our reception will be in the evening. So hopefully they're able to make it.

Quoting Queen_Sheila:

I think a wedding reception is more important than a friend's son's birthday, they should come.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bbyB10
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 5:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I would save the money and the drama and take off far away with my new husband just the two of us and have the time of our life ALONE ;))))))
Sexy-Momma202
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 5:58 PM
Your wedding should be about you and your other half. I hate to say it but the people who are there to support you are the ones who matter the most. Besides a major family emergency or lack of financial support, your best friends should be there with you. Sometimes the ones who you hold near and dear are those who are secretly wishing it was them getting married. I wish you all the happiness in the world and hope that you have a wonderful day.
prenatalRN
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 6:11 PM
Make sure you send RSVP's that have to be mailed back to you. That way you can get an idea of how many people will show so you can plan better. This is pretty standard for weddings so Im sure people will respond
DarksMama
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 6:15 PM

We had a huge flake rate (about 30 out of 75 didn't show). 

Even with RSVP's there's only so many who will have any consideration and show up. Just be clear that prep will be done for x number of people and if people flake, then you know who your friends are.

Jadegirl1819
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 6:23 PM

You need to get the invites out ASAP if you are having it in December. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN