Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Am I just being paranoid?

DF and I are getting married sometime in the next couple months at the courthouse, and our reception will be in December. I am worried that no friends will show up. When we had my baby shower when I was preg with DS, I only had 1 friend show up of all of the 12 or so friends that were invites. It was a little disappointing. Its not that I wanted more stuff as we got way more than we ever used, but I wanted them there to help me celebrate our baby. Now I'm afraid that no one will come to the wedding. I know there are at least a couple people that I am inviting that won't be able to make it, since the reception in on a friends sons birthday, but what about all the other people I would like there to have a good time with us? I am probably thinking way more into it than I should be. Someone please reassure me and make me feel better about this. Of all the things that I have to worry about about the wedding, like paying for and preparing food and deccorations, etc, this is the one that is getting to me the most.
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:55 PM
Replies (41-50):
mama2gg
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Im sorry  you are feeling this way THIS is why I didn't make a big deal out of my wedding 12 people in a small place and then all the money I WOULD have spent went to a 2 WEEK cruise with 4000 left over for whatever we wanted to do to the house...LOVED IT never would I change a thing 312 bucks from top to bottom for the wedding!

lasombrs
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 6:28 PM

You just have to roll with it if it happens. Only 7 people ended up attending ours and we had rented a park for our ceremony and reserved seating for 30 and then a dinner we pre paid for 30 as well. People who said they would come didnt, never gave reasons why and I dont know if they felt bad for not coming or just really didnt like us for some reason but they avoided us afterwards. It sucks, but your day is your day. Its supposed to be about starting a new life and happiness. You cant let the actions of others you dont control get you down. good luck!

cookinmommyof1
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 6:29 PM
We have figured out that we can make everything happen including; dress (got for $158 at von maur), invites (got on sale at archivers for $6/box of 25), food (chicken/meatballs, marinara/alfredo sauce, masticiollo/spagetti noodles, bread, salad, dressings), beer (canned), venue (my sis and bil are renting the vfw) for less than $2000. And that is if we buy enought food to feed 100 people. I don't think we will need that much food, though.

Quoting mama2gg:

Im sorry  you are feeling this way THIS is why I didn't make a big deal out of my wedding 12 people in a small place and then all the money I WOULD have spent went to a 2 WEEK cruise with 4000 left over for whatever we wanted to do to the house...LOVED IT never would I change a thing 312 bucks from top to bottom for the wedding!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jillian_G1
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Send out invitations and at the bottom put please RSVP. Send out the invitations at least a month before the wedding. Anywhere between 40%-60% of the guests will show up. I'm getting married on the 27th of this month and our guest list was almost 300, there are about 85 guests showing up. I sent out my invitations out on the 5th of August.

If you need anymore help, just let me know, I am an event planner where I live. I would be more than willing to give some free advice.
BOOGIETHEBOOG
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Quoting Queen_Sheila:

I think a wedding reception is more important than a friend's son's birthday, they should come.

I think her kids birthday is more important than a friend's wedding reception

lullabylily
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 7:15 PM

There is nothing wrong with putting RSVP in the invitation

la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 7:59 PM

I invited 10 friends and 6 showed up, lol.

flowerfunleah
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I had the same fear. No one I invited (except my in law family) showed up to my bridal shower. I was terrified no one was going to show up to our wedding but they did! I had the same fear for my baby shower but that worked out as well.

However. *ahemjerksahem*

Everyone cancelled last minute to DD's 1st birthday last year. I was pissed. I HATE when people say they'll show up and then cancel last minute with bogus excuses like "My kid is sick." Pffft. Uh huh, suuuure.

Maybe you can change the date of your reception so that it doesn't fall on that kids birthday. What I really dont get is why an adult would want to go to a kids birthday rather than a reception, right???

CatherineNewton
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Send out invites with rsvps Like a normal wedding inviation and see what happens. Sounds like they just need a formal invite to kick them in the ass. Thats what I would do. 

workingmommy87
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 8:38 PM
Its mainly for that reason that I won't remarry. I don't know/ talk to a lot of people. I know everyone is saying, make it about you two, but it still sucks when you don't have friends to share it with. It's a reminder of how lonely you are. I'm not saying you shouldn't have a wedding, but remind others as you get closer, make sure you get rsvp's. do you have brides maids, or a MOH? how many people are you inviting?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN