Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Am I just being paranoid?

DF and I are getting married sometime in the next couple months at the courthouse, and our reception will be in December. I am worried that no friends will show up. When we had my baby shower when I was preg with DS, I only had 1 friend show up of all of the 12 or so friends that were invites. It was a little disappointing. Its not that I wanted more stuff as we got way more than we ever used, but I wanted them there to help me celebrate our baby. Now I'm afraid that no one will come to the wedding. I know there are at least a couple people that I am inviting that won't be able to make it, since the reception in on a friends sons birthday, but what about all the other people I would like there to have a good time with us? I am probably thinking way more into it than I should be. Someone please reassure me and make me feel better about this. Of all the things that I have to worry about about the wedding, like paying for and preparing food and deccorations, etc, this is the one that is getting to me the most.
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:55 PM
Replies (61-65):
hyper_bunny
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Don't worry hun, I am the same way.

Quoting cookinmommyof1:

Thanx. Im no longer "friends" with a few of those people. I've never really been "friends friends" with any of them. I suck at making friends, and have only ever had like 2 or 3 really good friends.

Quoting hyper_bunny:

Sounds like those friends didn't deserve you as a friend. I'm sorry hun. I would of come to your shower. :-(

Quoting cookinmommyof1:

I've never had "good friends". They were pretty much friendly acquaintances. People I hung out with we weren't super good friends. What made it more disappointing was that I had gone to all of their showers. After the shower I thanked people and made and "thank you" post of fb, and the people who had rsvp 'ed were like "I didn't know about it". I call bullshit on that one. Expecially since I had been in contact with everyone a lot since the date had to be changed since my gpa died shortly before the shower.

Quoting hyper_bunny:

Are they good friends or just acquaintances?

Quoting cookinmommyof1:

My shower was in february and the weather was beautiful. Everyone that was iinvited (except for family) lived in the town it was in. There will be free food and booze. Lol

Quoting hyper_bunny:

They say to expect a certain percentage not to be there. Was your baby shower on a holiday, around a holiday, or a day that had really bad weather?? Why didn't anyone else show, was it hard to find or too far away? There are many reasons why someone might not be able to attend. I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you have free food and some alcohol, I am sure a lot of people will show up. lol 

SlapItHigh
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Have you talked to your friend about why they didn't come to your shower and explained to them how this made you feel?

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 9:17 AM

groombrideCongrats!!!

cookinmommyof1
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 9:53 AM
The only mommy and me groups in my area are church groups. Im not religious and would feel uncomfortable going to them. Ds is going to be doing wrestling in december, so hopefully I am able to make some connections through that. Most of the friends I have now were made in hs. I have one friends from hs I consider a good friend, one from NA is a good friend, and the other good friend was my employee when I was working and managed subway.

Quoting Knightquester:

Have you thought of joining a mommy meet-up group, or something to where you're out there meeting other women in your area?  Chances are there are far better fish in the sea than the social group you've built up from your high school days.

Often the older we get the more we realize we've outgrown some friends and relationships we once valued and thought the world of, it sounds like you've hit this point.  I would strongly try to look at the fact that those that don't go to the special events you invite them to as less having become friends and more acquaintances.  If they become more naturally over time again then that's different, but usually what happens is such people drift further and further out of our lives to where they no longer make the invite list.

When your children go to school and make friends try to connect with their friends' parents, same goes for groups and activities they might join.  For now while they're young try to take mommy-me classes, and see if you can't meet people through your soon to be husband and his work or life.  Hopefully you can fill your book of friends up with better people over the next so many years... it sounds like in the past you've managed to meet some immature flakes

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OliviasMommy611
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 11:35 AM
I know the feeling. It sucks. Make it about you and your DH.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN