Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

2 things that schools should not be involved in:

politics

religion

My kids school is having a mock election!  She's in 3rd grade.  Shouldn't schools worry about teaching math and reading since they say kids aren't testing well.  We don't follow politics in my house.  I don't care, we're gonna be screwed eithe way!

At my daughters school, the2-4 graders have bible class during school and they walk to the church in the cold, rain...

I'm agnostic but I'm gonna let my daughter believe in her own beliefs.  They shouldn't push religion on kids.

That's the parents job!

Schools need to teach kids what they need to learn so they can be successful in life.

by on Nov. 4, 2012 at 9:11 PM
Replies (11-20):
goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 5, 2012 at 1:08 PM

agrees. We're atheist, that religious crap wouldn't fly here.

DixieFlower
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 1:53 PM

I see nothing wrong with having a mock election. To me that falls right in line with Government and US History. Both of which are taught in school. As to the Bible class. If it truly is just a Bible class I also don't see a problem with it. Since teaching about the Bible isn't pushing a religion. In high school I took a Religions of the World class. It was very interesting to learn about various religions as well as the denominations within those religions. I didn't feel it was forcing a religion on me.  We even went to a local synagoague, Hindu temple, and various Christian churches. To me learning about these various religions teaches tolerance and understanding.

DixieFlower
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Teaching Bible history does fall under separation of church and state. Bible history is not teaching religion.

Quoting WonderWomanSV:

That does sound rediculous. I would be livid if they were having bible study at our school. I'm agnostic also and dh is atheist, I also will allow my children to believe what they want but WOULD NOT approve of having this taught in school. I'm sure you can withdraw her from that class. They can not push that on you. What happened to seperation of church and state.

I do understand teaching the imporatance of voting for their future, but that seems a little young.

DixieFlower
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Also you say that you are going to let your daughter believe in her own beliefs. How will she have exposure to what's out there to decide what she wants to believe? My mom was always very open with us when it came to religion. We attended all sorts of different VBS, religious services, etc.. Most didn't fit into what she believed but she felt that we needed to make an informed decision about what our beliefs would be.

Chellie13
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 7:24 AM

Is the school a public school? 

Why not homeschool?

OliviasMommy611
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 7:36 AM
Agree. I see nothing wrong with educating on religion though.

Quoting jillianmayasmom:

This.

Quoting HaileysMom07180:

i think a mock election is a really good idea actually, but unless they are going to a christian school, they shouldn't be going to church.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wolfinhell
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Well if it is religious school they can do what they want.  If if it public then teachers shouln't be teaching religion unless it's a World Religion class.  What is wrong with having elections?  Sure for lower and upper elementary (K-5th) I don't see why they need to know about mock elections but middle and high school okay.   Some Government classes even have mock jury trials.  Lots of middle and high school kids have elections for Class President, Class Vice President, etc.  Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. It allows them to see how government works in this country and is good practice for when they turn 18 and are of legal age to participate in local, state, and federal elections.

Teachers can't teach kids what they need to learn because all year they are teaching to the state tests because all schools care about is getting money from the federal and state governments.   So the teachers are unable to teach important stuff like life skills, home ec., music, art, P.E., computers.  A teacher's job now depends on how well their students perform on the state tests.  If their class failed miserbly on these tests then they can be fired.  Schools don't care about kids. It's all money to them. 

gr8d8n3mom
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 11:53 AM

I agree with you 100%. Kids are graduating from High School and can't read due to the "no child left behind" because they can't keep holding a child back, as it will hurt their self esteem, not being with their friends or peers.. (ok, so they can't read or do math?) oh that makes sense!

When my DH & I go to my skds school concerts, they always have at least 3 songs that are some type of Hymn. Not everyone at the school is "christian", I feel they are pushing that on not only the kids, but the parents too.

Schools are also now, teaching "politically correct" history, or english, not the way it really happened, so they are literally changing history or english, so it doesn't offend someone. Or just leaving out that chapter and they don't learn about it at all!

My dd had a history teacher(was her favorite teacher) she told them all straight up, she does NOT teach politically correct history, you will learn the way it happened and why. sorry if it offends anyone, but it's the way it is. 

Same with politics, the teachers will "persuade" the classes( in the younger ages) to whom ever the teacher prefers, so when they have their "mock election" the teacher's choice for the canidate wins.

It's the parents resoniblity to teach religion, politics, and sex education.

planning a wedding

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 12:02 PM

I remember having a mock election in middle school.  Hope everything does work out for you...

amandap33
by Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 5:15 PM

We live in a rural area so she goes to a consolidated school in a small town.  The kids that don't do the bible class get to sit in the classroom and not talk to each other.  She decided to quit the class on her own.  I don't think it's right that the 3 kids, my daughter included should have to sit quietly in class like they're in trouble or something.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)