Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My youngest DD is sleeping in bed with us. Has been since four months after she was in the PICU for a week and we just never broke the habit. Now I think it's time to break the habit. But when we lay her down in the pack and play she pops her head up and screams bloddy murder! What is it ??! and how do i fix it ?

by on Nov. 4, 2012 at 10:16 PM
Replies (11-20):
EmmaZate
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 2:07 PM
Get a side by side bassinet sleeper. It sits alongside your bed, where se feels safe, and yet is still seperate.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Knightquester
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Maybe have her pack n play in the room with you and sit next to her as she screams herself to sleep, she may wake up from time to time until she adjust.  Then when she's sleeping through the night again move her into another room and sit with her until she drifts off to sleep like you did in your room, and hopefully that will ease her back into her sleeping routine?

I honestly haven't dealt with sleeping kids in my bed so I don't know if my suggestion will even work or help, but I hope she learns to adjust; good luck!

Janet
by Ruby Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 4:44 PM

My babies always slept with me.

orngblsm
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 4:39 PM

If I read your profile right, your daughter is now four years old.  You will have a fight on your hands.  Start by getting her a toddler bed that can be set up next to yours.  (She is too old for a Pack 'N' Play.  Those are for babies, which she isn't any longer.)  Let her fall asleep in your bed and then move her to the other bed.  Make sure she has a nightgown or something of yours to hold on to while she sleeps.  Try having her take naps on her own bed and eventually to go to sleep in her own bed.  After she gets used to that, move her to her own room and you be with her while she goes to sleep.  Set up a bedtime routine that settles her down and gets her to sleep while on her own bed.  It is a gradual separation process that really can't be rushed.  I don't know how well it will work if you have a baby on the way.  Be prepared for regressive behavior.  She will see it as being displaced by the new baby.  The good news is she is four, old enough to let go a bit and be the big sister.  Maybe if you talk to her about how big she is and how grown up she is getting and how big girls get to sleep in their own beds while babies sleep with mommy, it might work.  Maybe getting her a doll to sleep with like she slept with you while she was a "baby" might help with the separation as well.

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 5:10 PM

I won't be much help either. All of my kids slept in their own bed from the day they were brought home from the hospital. Except for my last one, and he only slept in my bed for a few days, that was because it was easier for me to breast feed him in the middle of the night. After that he went to his own bed. Been there ever since. At first it was a crib, but now at almost 4 he is in his own bed. 

SheciaBaby
by Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:42 PM
no... Ten months

Quoting orngblsm:

If I read your profile right, your daughter is now four years old.  You will have a fight on your hands.  Start by getting her a toddler bed that can be set up next to yours.  (She is too old for a Pack 'N' Play.  Those are for babies, which she isn't any longer.)  Let her fall asleep in your bed and then move her to the other bed.  Make sure she has a nightgown or something of yours to hold on to while she sleeps.  Try having her take naps on her own bed and eventually to go to sleep in her own bed.  After she gets used to that, move her to her own room and you be with her while she goes to sleep.  Set up a bedtime routine that settles her down and gets her to sleep while on her own bed.  It is a gradual separation process that really can't be rushed.  I don't know how well it will work if you have a baby on the way.  Be prepared for regressive behavior.  She will see it as being displaced by the new baby.  The good news is she is four, old enough to let go a bit and be the big sister.  Maybe if you talk to her about how big she is and how grown up she is getting and how big girls get to sleep in their own beds while babies sleep with mommy, it might work.  Maybe getting her a doll to sleep with like she slept with you while she was a "baby" might help with the separation as well.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SheciaBaby
by Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:43 PM
10 months. Sorry haven't been on !!

Quoting mom2gr8tgirls:

How old is she?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SheciaBaby
by Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:44 PM
ten mo. Sorry I haven't been on !!

Quoting Pammi86:

How old is she? My dd is almost 18 months and we can not get her out of our bed either! She makes herself throw up and all! I have no idea what to try anymore but I have to figure it out bc we have baby #2 due in June!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Solitude76
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:10 PM

I had that problem with my daughter at one time, it was at first because I didn't have a crib in the beginning and when I did finally get one she would scream bloody murder to sleep in there.  But eventually I would just have to deal with the screaming until she got used to it and the crib was next to my bed.  When I moved her to a toddler bed I had to deal with her getting in my bed in the middle of the night but eventually and don't laugh she didn't get out of my bed until about 6yrs old and by then she had her own bedroom.  Good thing for me I was a single parent.  And now even at 15 she still has to need to want to sleep with me for comfort issues. But now its an absolute no no to lay in my bed and when she wants to snuggle I lay with her until she falls asleep.

lnrmom
by Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 12:06 AM
Rock her to sleep, then gently lay her down and rub ber back til she falls back to sleep. Lullabies, soft jazz, or classical music playing quietly helps as well.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)