Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

16 yo ss dog kills chicken..sm shoots dog.

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 6:07 PM
  • 52 Replies
Ok..I only shot it with a bb gun, but bd just got custody of his two teens and has given as permission to go between homes, ours, moms, and grandparents for whatever reason. So he brings his 5-6 hunting dogs to our house, dumps them all in the backyard without restraints, food or water then takes off to go party...he has already been informed that I will not take responsibility for his dogs and when one got loose and killed one of my chickens I shot it with a bb gun. Now he says I've traumatized his dog and I should have put it on a chain...straight up..was I wrong?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 6:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 5, 2012 at 6:42 PM
7 moms liked this

Um.. were you wrong to shoot a dog with a bb gun? YES

DayDreamer1201
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this

That's animal abuse. Weather it killed a chicken or not. How would YOU like to be shot with a bb gun????

Lizzys_mommy13
by Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 6:50 PM
3 moms liked this

I'd say that yes, you were wrong for shooting the dog. However, he is also wrong for just leaving his dogs running loose and expecting you to take care of them. Tell him that if he wants to just let his dogs loose that he can go ahead and get rid of them. Especially if they are killing other animals. 

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Nov. 5, 2012 at 7:00 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes it's wrong to shoot a animal with a BB gun. It's wrong for him to dump the dogs on your yard to take care for if you don't want them.

Knightquester
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 7:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a friend that shoots her dog for barking with a bb gun... do I agree, no, but is it my place or anybodies to tell her how to deal with her dog and responsibilities, no.

On the flip side if I were tossed dogs w/o being asked then I would inform that person right away that I will call animal services and let them know I found some strays and have them picked up.

If I was asked to watch the dogs and took that responsibility then I would ensure that I treated them like I would anybody else's child or pet, with respect and if that animal stepped out of line I would kennel or chain it and call it's owner to come and pick them up; not punish them which isn't my place.

Right and wrong is a subjective thing, and one of opinion.  Did you react how somebody else would, yes and no depending on the person, were you out of line, again subjective and depends on the person you ask.

IMO you shouldn't have had the dogs there to begin with and should have put your foot down if you didn't want them before he even got those dogs out of his vehicle.  Once you decided to be passive and not stand up and let him know you don't want those dogs there because you refuse to babysit them then you also decided to accept responsibility for them and their actions, including them killing your chicken.

mamaslove11
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 9:51 PM
3 moms liked this

At the risk of bring everybody's wrath down on me..... I do not see anything wrong with what you did. I live out in the country and if a dog gets loose and kills any livestock he is fair game to said owner of the livestocks gun. For the most part when a dog kills and especially eats it he will think it is pk and keep doing it. Especially chicken. For some people chickens are the only way people get eggs. Yea, the BB stings him a little, maybe broke the skin a bit but hopefully he goes to eat another chicken he will remember that sting and he just might stop before he kills again. Unfortunately, if he does not stop and keeps killing he might have to be put down.

sheila28804
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 10:17 PM

A BB gun is non lethal and just stings.  You were not trying to kill the dog, just iving it something to remember.  It was not harmed but will remember it the next time.  I am not a gun person and not sure what I would have done.  I don't believe in keeping dogs for hunting and killing.  Your husband is wrong for having them in the first place.

OliviasMommy611
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 7:10 AM
I see your point.

Quoting mamaslove11:

At the risk of bring everybody's wrath down on me..... I do not see anything wrong with what you did. I live out in the country and if a dog gets loose and kills any livestock he is fair game to said owner of the livestocks gun. For the most part when a dog kills and especially eats it he will think it is pk and keep doing it. Especially chicken. For some people chickens are the only way people get eggs. Yea, the BB stings him a little, maybe broke the skin a bit but hopefully he goes to eat another chicken he will remember that sting and he just might stop before he kills again. Unfortunately, if he does not stop and keeps killing he might have to be put down.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wolfinhell
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Some people depend on those chickens and eggs for food.  You can easily sell eggs (and possibly chickens if your farmer market allows livestock to be sold for slaughter) at a farmer market for money.  The dog will survive being shot with a BB gun.  I wouldn't have taken those dogs. I would have called animal control if someone left their dogs on my property and reported them as strays.  We lived next to a farm (our land lord's-he raised cattle) and the barn was across the driveway from us (we lived in a yellow 2 bedroom trailer at the time and there was a 2 story blue house up the driveway from us that some neighbors lived in).  Well on the other side of us was a man who raised goats and then our landlord was further up that driveway.  (It was a back road).  Well one day our dogs got loose somehow while my sister and I were at school (though I suspect my step father set them loose on purpose) and our beagle/pitt mix Annie got shot because they went onto the goat guy's property and he shot them. Blinded Annie so Max (our husky/pitt)had to become her eyes.  Now if they hadn't gotten (or very likely been set) loose then they wouldn't have gone over to the neighbor's yard and been shot.  However I can see how the owner of those dogs would be pissed that you shot his dog but he shouldn't have dumped them on you like that.  If those chickens are your livelhood then I think you have every right to protect your livestock/property.

confusednsad38
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 8:59 AM
2 moms liked this
My ss has been informed that I do not want the responsibility of his dogs. The fact that they are here is not the problem, he was told that they needed to be taken care of in all regards before he takes off. I didn't hurt the dog, didn't break the skin or draw blood. I have been shot with a bb gun and it stung but the butt beatings I received as a youth for disobeying hurt much worse and the bb gun was an old pump with plastic bbs only 5 pumps 1/2 power and about 60 ft away. I was only trying to get the dog off the chicken and away from my laying hens. I grew up understanding that if a dog killed livestock it was either put down permanently or the dead chicken, in this case, was hung around Its' neck til it rotted off. IMO it is more cruel to leave an animal that you care about being traumatized somewhere without basic needs even when you know the person does not accept responsibility for said animals. If it wanders to one of our neighbors homes and kills a goat it won't get a bb gun it will be dead because our neighbors aren't going to be as nice. In my defense I did put food out for them so you don't think I'd let them starve.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)