Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Doctor encouraged Benadryl to get him to sleep

Posted by   + Show Post

Have you ever known a doctor to encourage giving Benadryl to get your child to sleep? Normally they say not to so I was surprised to find out that my child's doctor encouraged it. He's a little guy and needs to have a CT scan done. They made the appointment for bright and early in the morning so we have to wake him and then give him meds to "knock him out" because she doesn't really want to give him anesthetics. What is your take on this?

by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 1:10 PM
Replies (21-30):
georgeisfun
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 4:58 PM

What you may want to keep in mind is that the active ingredient in benadryl, diphenhydramine, is the same ingredient used in many OTC sleep aids, just a smaller amount per dose. Yes, benadryl is packaged as an antihistamine, but it really does function to make people drowsy.

hippiechik3
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 5:45 PM

I think it would calm him down (thats pretty scary for a lil kid) and it is safer then an anesthetic. When my kids are super sick an have trouble sleeping I give them half the dose recomended an they are able to relax an get some rest. Try keeping him up really really late so when you get him up he is still sleepy an you can decide then if he will need it or not.

Pammi86
by Pamela on Nov. 9, 2012 at 8:46 PM
I have never heard a pedi say that!
OliviasMommy611
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 10:04 PM
Tylenol won't knock him out though. This is a good answer though. I'd give the Benadryl as a one time deal. No harm short term.

Quoting 1CrazyCajun:

I can understand why he said that. Having a CT scan requires someone to be still. It would be a one time thing, so I have no problem with it. But I'd give tylenol.

I'd have a problem if he told someone that to get them to sleep at night. :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Basherte
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 8:33 AM

I would call her out on it and make her explain the exact reasons why she is encouraging you to use that. Now is she encouraging only for this procedure? Or is this a common thing for her to do?

Why wouldn't she recommend something that is meant to help a child go to sleep, instead of something that puts other drugs in the system and isn't meant as a sleeping aid? 

I'd get a second opinion myself and probably change doctors.

craemom
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 8:51 AM

I give my child benadryl whenever i feel she should be sleep or seem like she is having trouble sleeping. I just don't make it a habbit. I've only done it about 3 times. you could also try melatonin, its all  natural. It helps put them to sleep.

georgeisfun
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Diphenhydramine is the same active ingredient in many OTC sleep aids. It's literally the same drug, just a smaller dose and a different package.

Quoting Basherte:

Why wouldn't she recommend something that is meant to help a child go to sleep, instead of something that puts other drugs in the system and isn't meant as a sleeping aid? 

GreenEyes8707
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I would not do that. To much can do more harm than good. I would not give my child medicine for no reason, other than he was sick. And if a doctor is saying that you need to do that, than they need to be investagated. 

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this

That's what I was trying to say. I shouldn't hav responded this morning. I wasn't myself this morning.

Quoting GreenEyes8707:

I would not do that. To much can do more harm than good. I would not give my child medicine for no reason, other than he was sick. And if a doctor is saying that you need to do that, than they need to be investagated. 

EmmaZate
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 3:58 PM
For a medical procedure I understand a doc saying that. But for any other reason I would probably find a new doc because it would feel like abuse of medication to me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN