Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Dad Bound Baby With Tape as a 'Joke' But May Get Some Serious Time

Posted by   + Show Post

Dad Bound Baby With Tape as a 'Joke' But May Get Some Serious Time

Posted by Jeanne Sager on November 9, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Andre CurryA judge sent a strong message to parents who think it's OK to abuse their kids in the name of joking around this week. Andre Curry, the dad who wrapped his 1-year-old daughter in painter's tape last year, then posted photos of her to Facebook, has been convicted of domestic battery. His "joke" could cost him as much as seven years in an Illinois prison.

Is that too much for a joke? I don't think so. At least not when the joke isn't very funny.

In addition to the photos, Curry posted a comment on the social media site stating, "This is wut happens wen my baby hits me back." Fortunately someone didn't think it was as funny as he did, because he was reported to the authorities. They found that some of the blue adhesive tape -- which was placed on the girl's mouth, ankles, and hands -- obstructed her nose.

Curry's sister says the little girl was laughing the whole time. Maybe it's true. But does that make it OK to put a child's life in danger? Does it excuse the fact that this father used his little girl as a prop in a dangerous game?

Allow me to take you back to kindergarten for a moment, where we all learned that people are not things. People are, well, they're people. They have feelings, retain memories. They aren't easily "fixed" when damaged.

I think this Dad got lucky here. His little girl survived what could have been seriously dangerous. Imagine if she'd stopped breathing because of that obstruction?

Andre could get something as simple as probation or the seven years in prison. What do you think is appropriate here?

by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 1:53 PM
Replies (21-30):
heavensdaughter
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Ugh, that's crazy!

Kazoo22
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 1:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Definitely parents classes, supervised visits, probation etc, but I don't think putting him in prison is the answer. If he really wasn't trying to harm her and he's just an idiot, then what good will it do to put him in prison for seven years. That's seven years his daughter won't have her dad around and considering that at least he wants to be around her I say he's got at least one thing going for him. He should without a doubt take parenting classes and should be supervised with her until it is deemed that he is a responsibile adult. But prision? Really? That's tax payer money paying for this. This is exactly the kind of situation that is eating up tax payer money. He hasn't committed a serious offense or murder. Yes if he had killed her than I would agree he should go to prison (involuntary manslaughter) but he didn't. So I say classes and supervision should be enforced, but not prison. 

snuggiewoogie
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 7:55 AM

What an A$$!

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 10:25 AM

sorry to hear this...

la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Omg : ( Why would you do that to a baby?

January1964
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Why is it that anyone can have a child, but you need to take a written test and a driving test to drive a car?

Emilytrademark
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Is sending a father to prison really the best scenario for this little girl because he played an out of taste joke? I fail to see how the child was harmed or that her life was put in danger. Definitely agree with parenting classes.

Emilytrademark
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Who are we to say that the child is better off without her father? All we know about is this isolated incident which, while in poor taste, was not abuse.

Quoting Mommynay2:

With a father like that she is better off without one. I am a single mother and it is hard but I would rather do it alone than share custody with their father who isn't safe. Maybe he was joking around, but he still who knows what his joking around could do next. And his sister was around, I hope she doesn't have children because if she thinks it is acceptable than she shouldn't be a parent either.

BabyFruit Ticker
Kris_PBG
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 3:31 PM
I don't get understand how people find that funny - at all.
DazeDelights
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 4:37 PM
I don't see the big deal. Her life was not in danger it was a joke. Now had he truley meant to hurt her then hell yea lock him up. Damn my kids have taped handcuffed each other several times all in the name of joking. My 7 year old just taped my 17 year olds feet and hands together while she was sleeping this morning smh
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN