Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

What age did you?

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 3:22 PM
  • 135 Replies
My DS is now 7 and some of his friends/classmates tell him Santa/ toothfairy isn't real(he just started loosing he teeth last year). Now this makes me mad cause I feel he should enjoy childhood and believe in all the fun stuff still while he can.I understand not everyone is blessed enough to have a good Christmas and my son knows that too so we count all of our blessings and on his Christmas list to Santa he has to help out one person that he knows. We sat down and I told him its just like the movies we watch as long as you really believe then Santa/toothfairy is real and just to tell the kids we believe in our house then stop talking about it. Now here is my question at what age do you think kids should really learn the truth? I was thinking 10 then we would just continue the part of helping out someone in need.
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 3:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 11, 2012 at 3:33 PM
4 moms liked this

My dd is 10 and still believes. I don't plan to be the one to burst her bubble.

Momma-2boys
by Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 3:41 PM
I don't wanna burst his bubble either but I'd rather I tell him then other kids.

Quoting goddess99:

goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 11, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Idk I've not had that problem. She's never come home saying kids said this or that. I'm just letting it go. Eventually she'll figure it out.

Quoting Momma-2boys:

I don't wanna burst his bubble either but I'd rather I tell him then other kids.

Quoting goddess99:

Infinite1221
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I remember wanting to believe in Santa for as long as possible even though everyone was telling me he wasn't real.  I don't think I gave up on that until I was 11.

Oceana09
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:21 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't remember my parents ever telling me that Santa wasn't real. I remember kids in my class telling me around 8 years old and I stood with my head held high and called them all idiots for not believing in him. I don't remember when I finally figured out that they were probably right. I know my children will always have a Santa. And I will teach them to respect others and not tell other kids that he doesn't exist, because sometimes for some of those children, that's the only thing they have to believe in at Christmas.

nataliesmom2012
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:22 AM
SD will be 10 in a few days and she hasn't believed for quite some time now. SS, on the other hand, is 6 and when kids tell him stuff like that, he will actually argue with them. When he's within eat shot, SD will even play it off like she still believes. I remember when I was a kid, my SM told me Santa wasn't real. I called my mom crying. My mom was not a happy camper. I remember, I didn't give up on believing until I was like 11 or 12. I think you should give him a few more years. When he's ready to stop believing, he'll stop on his own.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Caitlinsmom09
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:29 AM

I knew santa wasn't real at around 8ish but I held onto hope that I was wrong. When I was around 10 my parents told me he wasn't real and I CRIED! Even though I already knew it was pretend It felt more real hearing it out loud and it kind of felt like a little piece of childhood got taken away from me lol. I wished my parents had never told me then ( not that it scarred me or anything)

MamaLioness2012
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:35 AM
2 moms liked this

You can carry the charade on forever! He's going to learn sooner or later, I was about 9...but my parents did Santa every year...I'm 24 and I still get my big present from Santa. My parents knew that I knew but we chose to instead keep the magic alive at our house. That's how I'll be doing it.

flowerfunleah
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:50 AM
17 moms liked this

THIS guy, is a hero.

Your welcome <3

jett286
by Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:54 AM
1 mom liked this

We were always careful about Santa Claus...My husband didn't want to take away from the celebration of Jesus' birth and I wanted to enjoy the traditions of my childhood...So we compromised and always talked about St. Nikolous..bringing the stuff in the stockings... We didn't want to give credit for the best gifts to Santa Claus either.  When my son was 4 he started asking questions about is Santa real?  We just kept telling the story of St. Nikolous..then when he was 7 he asked about Santa again and I started in with the story...We were driving and I remember specifically where we were ....he said "No MOM!  IS THERE A FAT MAN IN A RED SUIT THAT COMES DOWN OUR CHIMMNEY AND LEAVES PRESENTS?"  Couldn't get out of that one.  So we had to talk about the 'magic' of Christmas and traditions and what his friends might believe...etc.  My MIL was destroyed, thought I had ruined my son's childhood.  Well he was NOT satisfied with my explanation.  This happened a lot when he was little.  I think he should be a lawyer....He's 18 now..

Jeanette

"Love is a fabric that never fades, no matter how often it is washed in the waters of adversity and grief". -- Anon.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)