Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My DS is now 7 and some of his friends/classmates tell him Santa/ toothfairy isn't real(he just started loosing he teeth last year). Now this makes me mad cause I feel he should enjoy childhood and believe in all the fun stuff still while he can.I understand not everyone is blessed enough to have a good Christmas and my son knows that too so we count all of our blessings and on his Christmas list to Santa he has to help out one person that he knows. We sat down and I told him its just like the movies we watch as long as you really believe then Santa/toothfairy is real and just to tell the kids we believe in our house then stop talking about it. Now here is my question at what age do you think kids should really learn the truth? I was thinking 10 then we would just continue the part of helping out someone in need.
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 3:22 PM
Replies (21-30):
AleaKat
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 6:56 AM
Hmmm, I guess it depends on the kid but I'd say 8-10

My kids are so excited for santas visit
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
A_McCool
by New Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 7:13 AM

I don't lnow my kids are little.  According to my grandmother, I figured out that Santa wasn't real when I was 3.  I had a long detailed logical explanation for why he couldn't be.  My grandmother then told me that Santa is what makes Christmas fun and as long as I believe it will be fun and magical.  Apparently, I then told her that I believed and this time it lasted until I was 12, and I do not remember the conversation from when I was 3.  However, my grandmother swears it happened.

aeneva
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 7:52 AM

My son came to that conclusion himself at 6 years old.  He blurted out to me last year that Santa wasn't real and when I asked where he heard that he said he just figured it out himself.  We discussed how today's version of Santa is really something parents do based on a story of a person a long time ago who was real.  I had a book with the story and we had a long conversation about how things like that come about and why people continue to beleive them today.  I convinced him to not say anything around his sister (who is 2 years younger) because it is nice to have dreams and fantasies and he agreed and hasn't yet.

I think whenever they figure it out or hear it from someone else is the appropriate age and that is going to be different for all.  We never pushed the idea of Santa any way because we don't like lying to our children, but with all the media and family and friends you can't keep them away from it completely.

snuggiewoogie
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 7:53 AM

My daughter still believes at age 9 and I will try to keep it going a little longer! lol....

JocelynsMama1
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:02 AM

My mom and dad never told me santa wasnt real....I mean of course I figured itout eventually but I don't remember asking the truth I think i just heard the ruors he wasnt real and eventually realized the rumors werent true...but I still get presents from santa at my parents....we jsut kept the tradition going and my 3 year old loves it....however I get really worried around the holidays beause my neice who is 4 knows the store santas are fake and basicly anything dressed up is a man in a costume so she ruins everythign we go to for my dd

steelcage
by Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:07 AM
DD (6yo) has asked me before I Santa was real and I said of course. I want them to hold on to that innocence of childhood for as long as possible. Damn kids that can't keep their mouths closed.
Bethy16
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:10 AM
Wait!! What???? Santa is not real????? I have no idea what you are talking about! Santa is so real! He lives in all of our hearts. ;-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coala
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:23 AM

We are one of the few families that has never carried on the charade.  My DD who is 4 will tell you that Santa, the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny are ALL pretend.  This has been a battle with the child that we adopted b/c she was telling our DD that ALL her toys had been given to her by Santa and at 3 my DD was arguing with her.  I had to bust a 5 yo's bubble, but I would rather her realize that we have NEVER lied to her than to be truly hurt when she found out the truth later on.

BTW my kids know that they are not to have this discussion with other children.  We have explained that other kids parents want them to believe the lie and we aren't going to be the ones to tell those kids.  We haven't had an issue.

cutemomjenof2
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:37 AM

I was 10 when my brother told me.

We told DD when she was 8 (now 10) and she still believes even though we told her he wasn't. We will probably tell DS when he is 8 also (he is 6 now)

I think they need to know, cause we don't have a lot of money and I hate seeing they want all this stuff and we can't give it to them.

SlightlyPerfect
by Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:41 AM

We don't tell DD any of these is real or not real, including a god. We just let her think as she pleases. If she did believe Santa was real, though, I think 7 is a good age to stop believing.

slightlyperfect

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)