Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My DS is now 7 and some of his friends/classmates tell him Santa/ toothfairy isn't real(he just started loosing he teeth last year). Now this makes me mad cause I feel he should enjoy childhood and believe in all the fun stuff still while he can.I understand not everyone is blessed enough to have a good Christmas and my son knows that too so we count all of our blessings and on his Christmas list to Santa he has to help out one person that he knows. We sat down and I told him its just like the movies we watch as long as you really believe then Santa/toothfairy is real and just to tell the kids we believe in our house then stop talking about it. Now here is my question at what age do you think kids should really learn the truth? I was thinking 10 then we would just continue the part of helping out someone in need.
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 3:22 PM
Replies (51-60):
VarelaClan
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:11 PM

My daughter was 10 when she found out from her friends. My son is 9 and has been questioning it since last year. I'm waiting for him to come to me and ask. At that point, I tell them the truth.

ladyraven16
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:16 PM
My son was 4 last year and there was a mom who didn't care that her daughter was running around telling all the preschoolers that Santa wasn't real. I just told him that not everyone believes in Santa and the kids who don't believe don't get presents from him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NyiaBaby216
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Idk, 10 is a bit old IMO....I think he's getting close to the age where he'll figure out Santa isn't real, reguardless of what you say. I think somewhere in their 8th yr, is around the age where he'll know for fact. As for the tooth fairy, its a new concept since he just started losing teeth so I'd keep that going for as long as I could.
I say 8 yrs is a good long while to keep the santa story going :) I think if you're telling him one thing and everyone else has a different story, he might get hung up on what to believe.
I think the tooth fairy thing could be kept up for a few yrs. Maybe 3 or 4.

Good luck! And I think the helping someone in need is great !

BaBeezandMe
Spring Break!
Thursday at 10:08 PM
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:42 PM

my boys are 8 and still believe and I actually find ways to keep the magic alive for them.

I'm going to let them figure it out themselves and we'll deal with that when we cross that bridge.  We live in a very diverse area so lots of their classmates at school don't believe in Santa and have told them so but I tell them that it could be that they may not celebrate Christmas or they haven't actually seen Santa or some other reason and my kids are ok with that.

I feel this way....we are adults much longer then we are kids so why not allow our kids to enjoy being kids.  :D

nursesharon
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Well, we tell our kids that Santa is the spirit of giving and since that's what Christmas is about, then Santa is real.  We also tell them that the minute they quit believing it the minute he quits coming.  My kids are playing it smart though- they have yet to admit they think it's all a houx and they are 13 & 11!  Of course, I love doing it for them, so they will probably get a little something from Santa every year they are living at home ( I will cut that off though if they are 30 and still living w/me-haha).  As far as the toothfairy, we tell them the same thing (that as long as they believe, then the toothfairy will still come).  My youngest son said the other day after losing a tooth "Mom, you can go ahead and just give me the money since I know it's you."  since that's how he felt, the t-fairy didn't come.  Then he was disappointed that morning and asked me why I didn't put anything under his pillow.  I told him he quit believing and so the toothfairy doesn't come to kids who don't believe.  I think that is a good way to phase them out.  And I know my kids know I am Santa, but they are smart w/that one!  An expensive gift under the tree versus a dollar under the pillow!  That's a no brainer!!

mickstinator
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:48 PM

i never believed any of them were actually real. that's probably because i have a sister who is 3 years older than me and spoiled the fun before i even knew there was to be any. i remember being about 8 and looking for santa's sleigh with my neighbor on christmas eve. i thought he was joking when he said he wanted to find santa. 

SuDoNim
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this

When my older two started to get suspicious, I told them the truth: "Yes Santa is real; I am Santa." They got a kick out of it and promised to keep the big secret.

Ryan86
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:56 PM

I believed in Santa for a very long time! I was probably around 12 or 13 when I finally found out that Santa wasn't real.  While I was upset that my "parents had lied" to me, I still remember how great the idea of it all was!! I don't think of it as being a lie...It was all so magical and fun and I miss the times when I believed!! I miss the butterflies I would get before coming down stairs Christmas morning.  I want my daughters to believe in Santa for as long as possible!!  I loved it!!

STVUstudent
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Yes. We still do gifts for Christmas they are just all from mommy and daddy. We also decorate as a family and do lots of crafts and baking together. For Easter we still do baskets they are just from mommy and daddy and we do dye eggs and do an egg hunt.

Quoting NoraDun:

WOW really?? Do your kids do anything fun for those holidays??

Quoting ambermario4ever:

We have never and will never do Santa in our house. And they haven't lost any teeth yet but we won't be doing the tooth fairy either. We also don't do the Easter bunny.

I went to seminary with a gal who worked two jobs so she could buy Christmas presents for her kids.  She said there was no way she was going to let a fat white guy take the credit...

MrsAdorkable
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 1:22 PM

I never actually believed in Santa/Tooth Fairy etc. It was always an inside joke, we knew it was our mom but it was never outright said. I never understood kids who *believed* so I have no clue how to handle it with my boys. They are both too young to understand yet anyways

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)