Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom
My DS is now 7 and some of his friends/classmates tell him Santa/ toothfairy isn't real(he just started loosing he teeth last year). Now this makes me mad cause I feel he should enjoy childhood and believe in all the fun stuff still while he can.I understand not everyone is blessed enough to have a good Christmas and my son knows that too so we count all of our blessings and on his Christmas list to Santa he has to help out one person that he knows. We sat down and I told him its just like the movies we watch as long as you really believe then Santa/toothfairy is real and just to tell the kids we believe in our house then stop talking about it. Now here is my question at what age do you think kids should really learn the truth? I was thinking 10 then we would just continue the part of helping out someone in need.
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 3:22 PM
Replies (61-70):
STVUstudent
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Quoting MrsAdorkable:

I never actually believed in Santa/Tooth Fairy etc. It was always an inside joke, we knew it was our mom but it was never outright said. I never understood kids who *believed* so I have no clue how to handle it with my boys. They are both too young to understand yet anyways

this was us too.  My mom says I was "born old". 

Momma-2boys
by Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 1:51 PM
Quoting Bookoholic:

Even at 24 I believe in Santa, reason for this is the spine chilly good story my mom told me. Last year we talked about Santa because of Ds, well, my mom told me this. When I was about a year and half old the Barbie dream house came out so around 89. That's all my sister wanted for Christmas. My mom figured since my sister had been such a great little girl she would get it for her, me being in the hospital my mom was almost never home after my dad got off work. About six weeks before Christmas my mom called every store within a 5hour raidis of our house no one had it. Day before Christmas eve there was a knock on the door, my mom answered it; it was the UPS guy. The guy asked for my sisters signature, my mom corrected the guy but nope HAD to be my sisters. So after she signed and it was in the living room, my sister told my mom that it was the Barbie dream house, my mom said H you don't know that, my sister said yes I do its my Barbie dream house, can I open it. My mom checked the whole wrapping paper with no return address then told my sister she could untapped it. My mom was curious too, it was the Barbie dream house. No return address just a label that said To Miss H****** B*****.
So know after all these years I believe, my mom wanted to call who ever it was to repay them thank them whatever but she still hasn't been able. Even 25 years later.

I love that story and that's why we pick at least 1 person to help out. I try to show my kids the meaning of the holidays.
Byrd15
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 2:11 PM

I think about his age is when it should be let out...

I dont agree PERSONALLY with the Santa thing, I want my kids to know mommy and daddy work hard to get them a nice Christmas but I do NOT judge those who do, its a cute idea! I love the tooth fairy too, definitely doing that. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Megan11587
by Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 2:13 PM

If he flat out asks you if these things are real, I wouldn't lie.

kenleespice
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 2:40 PM

when my oldest started this I just told her that when she stopped believing in santa she wouldnt get anymore gifts from him lol at 14 she still belives LOL ok I know she really dont but she pretends to mostly for her little sister and brother

SMG1120
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Ummm........ Santa and the tooth fairy arent real? Santa may not be a guy in a red suit, with white a beard or rosey cheeks or even a man but santa is most definitely real and the tooth fairy is just as real as santa. You are santa, you are the tooth fairy....... for your family and I'm pretty sure that to your son, you are very real.

SMG1120
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Lol I will be 29 next week and I still get a present from santa every christmas. My mom always gets something for me and my brother that is from santa. I know its weird buts its our tradition lol

Quoting kenleespice:

when my oldest started this I just told her that when she stopped believing in santa she wouldnt get anymore gifts from him lol at 14 she still belives LOL ok I know she really dont but she pretends to mostly for her little sister and brother

luvschocolate
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 3:42 PM
,y kids found out about age 7 and it wast by us, they heard it at school. If Yu decide to wait, be prepared to answer their questions if they have heard otherwise.
la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 4:58 PM

My children all believe still : )

Leelee1008
by Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 5:24 PM

I think I was about 10, I actually came out and there were presents out already, it was like 10pm and my grandmom was there. so I ended up getting to help put the rest out.

I am running into a similar problem with my boys. their friends dont believe, even my own friend sat here and tried to tell my kids he wasnt. I was so mad. In our house, we do santa to the fullest. even though my oldest I knwo doesnt believe I still tell them well santa brings the presents, we dont have alot of money so how can we? And if you dont believe you dont get lol. they know they will but still, they lobe to play along.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)