Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

What do we do?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 9:49 AM
  • 21 Replies

So a new tenant moved into the apartment 2 doors down from us.  he has a cat that he leaves outside all the time.  this was not a problem until it started getting cold.  it has been running into tennants houses when they open their doors and sometimes we don't see them.  The cat was locked in our apartment for 4 and half hours one day and locked in one of my other neighbors house for over 8 hours, neigther of us knew there was a cat in our house till we got home.  This weekend we received a letter from our property management company that stated that we owned a cat and that if we didn't get rid of it within 10 business days we will be evicted.  apparently they saw us throwing it out of the house or something.  I don't know what to do, its not our cat, i've called and left a message.  I'm so freaked out, can i get rid of someone elses pet?  i've tried knocking on his door to tell him he needs to keep his cat inside cuz she's getting other tennants in trouble, but he's not answering his door, eventhough his car is there so i know he is home.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 12, 2012 at 9:56 AM

I would bring it to the animal shelter and hope someone will adopt it and have it be an indoor cat. Poor thing.

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Hope you can get this worked out....

HaileysMom07180
by Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 10:00 AM

i would do that, but my friend tried to take a cat to our local shelter and she had to pay $45 to drop it off, i don't have that kind of money so that options out.  i'm gonna call and try to talk to the lady that sent us a letter and try to explain that if they saw us throw the cat out, its because it wont stop coming in.  this morning it has snuck into our apartment 3 times already.

Quoting goddess99:

I would bring it to the animal shelter and hope someone will adopt it and have it be an indoor cat. Poor thing.

goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 12, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Call a vets office and see if they know where to bring a pet free of charge.

Quoting HaileysMom07180:

i would do that, but my friend tried to take a cat to our local shelter and she had to pay $45 to drop it off, i don't have that kind of money so that options out.  i'm gonna call and try to talk to the lady that sent us a letter and try to explain that if they saw us throw the cat out, its because it wont stop coming in.  this morning it has snuck into our apartment 3 times already.

Quoting goddess99:

Janet
by Ruby Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 10:08 AM

I would call too. I also feel sorry for the poor cat. :(

splatz
by Sarah on Nov. 12, 2012 at 10:10 AM
I'm sure if you and the neighbors that are dealing with the cat that keeps sneaking in all tell the property manager that would be more than enough proof that it isn't your cat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pammi86
by Pamela on Nov. 12, 2012 at 11:51 AM

First I would be having it out with the manager bc it clearly is not your cat and how rude! Then I would personally take it to your local shelter or see if anyone you know may want this poor cat. This tenant does not care obviously since he does not even bother to answer his door when you knock!

HaileysMom07180
by Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 1:19 PM

yeah i talked to my neighbor that has been having the same problem, the cat was locked in her apartment for over 8 hours and it peed everywhere.  i'm glad she did that cuz property management called and said they are looking into it.

Quoting splatz:

I'm sure if you and the neighbors that are dealing with the cat that keeps sneaking in all tell the property manager that would be more than enough proof that it isn't your cat.

STVUstudent
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 1:30 PM
1 mom liked this

the next time the cat comes into your apartment, call management and then animal control.  Animal control can't charge you for picking up someone else's cat like a shelter can.  It will be picked up as a stray and dealt with as per city policy.  Hopefully, it will get adopted.

The cat obviously wants to belong to someone. 

HaileysMom07180
by Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 1:48 PM

i would totally adopt it myself, but we have a ferret and i don't know how she would react to it.

Quoting STVUstudent:

the next time the cat comes into your apartment, call management and then animal control.  Animal control can't charge you for picking up someone else's cat like a shelter can.  It will be picked up as a stray and dealt with as per city policy.  Hopefully, it will get adopted.

The cat obviously wants to belong to someone. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN