Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Okay Ladies - Tips and Tricks?

Posted by   + Show Post
Any tips/tricks/solutions to getting black ink pen/sharpie pen off of light, finished wood? I don't want to strip the finish or damage the wood.

Also - what about getting the same out of carpet and off of wood finished with like a white paint?

When it first happened I was able to get some off with Clorox cleaning wipes - but there's a good amount left. It's lighter, but it's definitely there. I have no clue what to try. Ideas?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:13 AM
Replies (11-20):
Dayna29
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Hairspray, it will bleed but should come out of carpet. Or try lighter fluid.  That gets a lof of things up. To get it off of the wood, use the magic eracer. I got that off of my floors.

gem_mommie
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 4:13 PM

A couple of moms said to try magic eraser; I was afraid it would eat through the wood stain and take the paint off of the white dresser? I've used it on a wall before, some of the paint always seems to come off - which is fine on the white walls because it just thins it out some, but if that happens w/her bookshelf I won't be able to really match it well. Have you actually had to use it on painted furniture?

marstelja
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 5:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I've used rubbing alcohol to get Sharpie marks off furniture. Just use a tiny bit on a cloth and go over the whole area really lightly, it kinda 'blends' the paint coming off it so there isn't just a ugly patch where the paint came off. GL!

DixieFlower
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:09 PM

I will suggest the Magic Eraser also. I have used it to remove permanente black marker from an oak finish table before.

OliviasMommy611
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Quoting Pammi86:

Sorry no idea! : /

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Maybe test it on a spot that isn't seen? Like the back bottom corner or something. Then you can see if it would hurt it without it being in a noticeable spot.

Quoting gem_mommie:

A couple of moms said to try magic eraser; I was afraid it would eat through the wood stain and take the paint off of the white dresser? I've used it on a wall before, some of the paint always seems to come off - which is fine on the white walls because it just thins it out some, but if that happens w/her bookshelf I won't be able to really match it well. Have you actually had to use it on painted furniture?

signingmama2915
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 4:45 AM
Bump
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aprilz1225
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:55 AM
1 mom liked this

if it takes the color out of the wood i use a cayon that matches the color and fill in. i have done this many times.

Angeleyes_6
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this
Pine-sol worked for me. It has to be pine-sol Brand and used straight out of the bottle. Also original not any other scent. It worked when my nephew took a permanent marker to my play room years ago.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gem_mommie
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:24 AM
Ladies...THANK YOU! I have a few different tricks to try now, and I'm pretty stoked about the advice. I'll be honest, I'm hosting Thanksgiving dinner and I have a cousin in from college so Im swamped this week; hopefully shortly after the holiday I'll get a chance to work on this stuff!

Everyone have a blessed holiday!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)