Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Teacher Punishes 'Bad' Readers By Letting Classmates Draw on Their Faces

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:13 PM
  • 10 Replies

Teacher Punishes 'Bad' Readers By Letting Classmates Draw on Their Faces

Posted by Jeanne Sager on November 17, 2012 at 8:44 AM

markersThere's nothing like an innovative teacher to get kids motivated. But there's innovating. Then there's telling kids that if they don't reach their goals in reading they will be subjected to humiliation as their classmates use markers to draw all over their faces.

The kids were given a second option: lose out on recess. Think that sounds crazy? Just wait until you hear what the parents thought of this little teaching trick at the Cassia School District in Idaho.

Some of them are actually defending the teacher! One mom went so far as to say:

I'm one of many parents who stand by the teacher's methods and what she does. We think she's a wonderful teacher and we want to see her stay at Declo for many years to come.

I dare say she's picked the wrong horse in the race.

What happened to standing up for our kids? We send them to school so they can learn, not so a teacher can create a system where students are being encouraged to belittle their classmates. Can you say bullies in the making?

Whether these kids met their reading goals or not, the other kids shouldn't have been involved with their punishment. It's too easy for that to turn into a torture session.

I'm all for teachers thinking outside of the box to help kids learn. My daughter has had fabulous teachers thus far, all of whom have done things I never would have thought of to encourage her to take another step down the educational path. That's why they're the teachers, and I am the mother.

But not being up on teaching techniques doesn't make me a ninny. I still know what's right and wrong, and it's my job to call a teacher on the mat if she screws up. It's all of our jobs as parents.

What would you have done if your kid was the one being drawn on? Have you had to step in when a teacher's lesson has gone wrong?

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:32 PM

She would been reported to the school board. That is just uncalled for.

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:49 PM
I would have raised cane and made sure she lost her job.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this
What the heck? What about the kids who aren't doing good because they are just too hard on themselves and don't have enough confidence so they think they can't read or sound out a word? Who are easily upset, frustrated, etc when it comes to reading. Because that is my kiddo and I can guarantee his classmates drawing on him would make the entire situation a zillion times worse.

This just makes me sad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SlapItHigh
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Both options sound crazy.  I would have gone up the chain of command at my child's school until this was put to a stop and then probably either requested a change in teacher if this one was still left on *or* pulled my child out to homeschool.

SlapItHigh
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Quoting jltplk25:

I would have raised cane and made sure she lost her job.

^yeah, that.

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:00 AM

I would not like that to be done to my child or any children...

goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:34 AM

I would have been pissed and everyone would have heard about it.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Quoting goddess99:

I would have been pissed and everyone would have heard about it.

kaitybird
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:16 PM

What the teacher did was wrong!  Of course I really think that if the shoe was on the other foot of the parents that are agreeing with what the teacher did they would not be so happy either.  Letting everyone know how well a child did on meeting their reading goal is awesome but allowing someone to draw on another child's face because they did NOT meet their reading goals NOT kosher!  NOT every child is going to LOVE reading, like reading or want to read.  Some kids have a hard time reading especially those just learning our language.  

Hopefully a lesson will get taught on what NOT to teach in school.  Hopefully there will be some consequences for the teacher.  Then again with the way education is going in Idaho it is going to get worse before better!  

DixieFlower
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:42 PM

I really don't know for sure what I'd do but I'm certain it would involve the teacher being removed from the local school system.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)