Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Creative Play Challenge Day 2: “Sort” Out Your Holiday!

Posted by   + Show Post

Starting around 18 months, toddlers begin to notice differences and commonalities between objects-which means it's time to sort and group!Today, take some of your holiday decorations, food items, or gifts, and work together to "sort" them by color, size, shape, texture, or type. For older kids, increase the complexity of the items you sort or the categories you sort them in.

simple smile

Share with us the combinations you created in the comments below.

(Tip: Sorting Cubes and Block Assortments are both great toys to help build these sorting skills.)

If you missed yesterday's activity, you can find it here. If you haven't signed up for the Creative Play Every Day Challenge yet, you can do so here!

by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:05 AM
Replies (11-20):
Charizma77
by Carissa on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:15 AM

We did this with my older kids and looking forward to it with our youngest. 

NannyElin
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:15 AM

we dont have a lot of hoilday stuff this year, just her small tree... but we do sort through fruit. and we have been sorting through clothes and baby items in preperation for the new baby.... and dd loves to help with that

huntersmama711
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:17 AM
I'm trying to teach ds colors so this will be a fun activity to try with him!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Angel_Red7
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:17 AM

We just got done playing with Legos where I always ask her to find me different colors. She just recently learned red from the bulbs on the tree! It's all about the Christmas tree, she gets so excited. She has Sesame Street ornaments, Santa, snowmen, snowflakes, stars, and bulbs. She goes around and points out all of the Sesame Street bulbs. So today an activity could be to point out the different groups such as all of the red bulbs first, then gold, and so on. Then I can have her count how many of each group. We can also do this while taking down the tree! O such a good idea!!!

lasombrs
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:17 AM

we do this daily! We keep all the toys sorted by groups in our house

SlapItHigh
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:20 AM

We sorted our ornaments last night, by weight!  I like to strategically hang based on weight of the ornament so I can shape the tree branches.

Angel_Red7
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Lol I thought I was the only one that keeps toys sorted by groups. I keep toys that way because I mentally feel better but it makes clean up time fun with my 23 month old.

Quoting lasombrs:

we do this daily! We keep all the toys sorted by groups in our house

eevers55
by Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:20 AM

We sorted our dreidles by color and then size. and then spun them all lol

Lizzys_mommy13
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:22 AM

We sorted legos! We do that often actually. lol

lillucky8
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:22 AM
Dd did this while i took her xmas photos last week, she organized the xmas balls i put for her to play with while i took the photos.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN