Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Creative Play Challenge Day 2: “Sort” Out Your Holiday!

Posted by   + Show Post

Starting around 18 months, toddlers begin to notice differences and commonalities between objects-which means it's time to sort and group!Today, take some of your holiday decorations, food items, or gifts, and work together to "sort" them by color, size, shape, texture, or type. For older kids, increase the complexity of the items you sort or the categories you sort them in.

simple smile

Share with us the combinations you created in the comments below.

(Tip: Sorting Cubes and Block Assortments are both great toys to help build these sorting skills.)

If you missed yesterday's activity, you can find it here. If you haven't signed up for the Creative Play Every Day Challenge yet, you can do so here!

by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:05 AM
Replies (131-140):
GirlWithANikon
by Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 12:33 AM
This is probably a fun thing to pintrist,
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
babid14
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 3:50 AM

my daughter does this herself she puts her markers an things in a box an her coloring pages with them. she puts her candy in her hiding spot lol. and all the blankets she puts on her baby brother to keep him warm then she gets in to lay with him

larschick
by Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 8:01 AM
Ds helped me sort the wrapping paper & bows into their own tote. He also helps sort his toys into bins in his room.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
pgillesp1
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 9:53 AM

My child is too old for this one too. But I did this kind of thing with my daughter when she was younger.

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Great ideas to keep them occupied while you decorate, they have fun and learn, too.

lissa9385
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:22 AM

My youngest had a lot of fun with this activity!

MomOf2Girlies90
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Fun, my older daughter would like this =]

goldi111
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:52 AM

When holiday baking - another idea is sorting plastic cookie cutters. I have a ton of them with different colors, some animals, some not, etc. You can sort them lots of different ways, then make your sugar cookies & take lots of pictures!! big smile mini

blessedwkrysta
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 11:22 AM

My little girl did something simular already as part of her school work.

hypnautica
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 11:54 AM

I have a bunch of different sized Christmas cards I bought last year and we took them all out of the pack and sorted them by size. Also got all the wrapping paper out and sorted by the main color. She is 2 and really enjoyed this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN