Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Creative Play Challenge Day 2: “Sort” Out Your Holiday!

Posted by   + Show Post

Starting around 18 months, toddlers begin to notice differences and commonalities between objects-which means it's time to sort and group!Today, take some of your holiday decorations, food items, or gifts, and work together to "sort" them by color, size, shape, texture, or type. For older kids, increase the complexity of the items you sort or the categories you sort them in.

simple smile

Share with us the combinations you created in the comments below.

(Tip: Sorting Cubes and Block Assortments are both great toys to help build these sorting skills.)

If you missed yesterday's activity, you can find it here. If you haven't signed up for the Creative Play Every Day Challenge yet, you can do so here!

by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:05 AM
Replies (161-170):
ZakkarysMom
by Gold Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 8:55 PM
Aww how cute!

Quoting Vikki77:

My daughter is 20 months old. This was real fun. We sorted by color and I actually got her to say the colors blue and red!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DixieFlower
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Both of my sons do this already with all of their toys.

funmommy123
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 2:05 AM
We sorted all of our christmas ornaments. We sorted them by colors, shapes, and sizes.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kaves
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:24 PM

I haven't been able to get the Christmas decorations down yet but we sorted the rest of my sons holloween candy by color.  He really did a good job and I was impressed! 

SevenKisses
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Great tips and ideas. When we were putting the presents under the tree, DS helped me and I did have him pass them to me biggest to smallest, and heavy ones too! He did pretty good!

shishie
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Lets clean out my baking cupboard

mine01369
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:49 AM

I am always so late at responding..  I normally just check and see what I am supposed to do and try to impliment it in the day..  This one was easy for me.  Being that it's the holiday season we are so busy getting ready.  The 2 younger ones seperated out some of the scrap booking items so we can make x-mas cards.  The y sorted by color and prints.  the older ones cleaned out my baking cabinet so it will be easier to make my cookies and pies.  They sorted oout the sprinkles and decorations by pitting the biggest canisters in back and the smallest in front.  they also sorted out "special spices" for pies and items for cakes.   They didn't have to worry about the flour or cane sugar those bags are to big lol

rory10
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 2:35 PM

DD started sorting her Fruit Loops by color while trying to string them

Kainalu55
by Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 3:53 PM

sorted some ornaments!

lapalmamama
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Hmmm, My son does the family socks at 6. That's sorting- but not as fun as it was when he was younger.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)