Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Creative Play Challenge Day 2: “Sort” Out Your Holiday!

Posted by   + Show Post

Starting around 18 months, toddlers begin to notice differences and commonalities between objects-which means it's time to sort and group!Today, take some of your holiday decorations, food items, or gifts, and work together to "sort" them by color, size, shape, texture, or type. For older kids, increase the complexity of the items you sort or the categories you sort them in.

simple smile

Share with us the combinations you created in the comments below.

(Tip: Sorting Cubes and Block Assortments are both great toys to help build these sorting skills.)

If you missed yesterday's activity, you can find it here. If you haven't signed up for the Creative Play Every Day Challenge yet, you can do so here!

by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:05 AM
Replies (171-180):
jessilovinglife
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 7:21 PM

My daughter is 27 months so we have been doing a lot of sorting lately and much of it she is initiating on her own. She has been sorting the size and color of her lego bricks stacking all the squares of one color together and then adding all the stacks together. She also has a pegboard toy with shapes of different colors and she will stack all the stars together, all the hearts, circles, squares and triangles each in their own stack. Today she sorted out all the glass rocks from the marbles and we counted 67 marbles. 

AmieLynnO
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 7:32 PM

We sorted blocks.  First, we sorted them by color.  Next, we sorted them by shape.  This is a great learning game for our toddler.

kgalvano
by Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:33 PM

we sort the christmas oriments by shape and color along with the decorations from yr.

tconnors331
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 10:47 AM

my four year old had a ball doing this. i had him sort the ornaments by shape.

Junesmommy18
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 12:31 PM

My 3 year old seperated our ornaments by shape then by color

nova.mommy
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 5:42 PM

We sort all the time. Beads, coins, snacks, anything.

MascaraMomma
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 6:45 PM

I actually started doing this when my oldest DD was a year old, she helps me sort the menorahs and the xmas tree decorations and pick what colors we'll use and where they will go each year... this year both DDs are arguing about the colors, Z is 5 and T is 3 and they disagree on favorite colors.

We're not all happy all the time but we're a happy family.

Jen (MascaraMomma)
acrogodess
by Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 7:46 PM

I play sorting games with the little pre-K children I care for. It's fun. We also use them to practice counting.

WesternNYmom
by Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 10:58 PM

My kids do this all the time with their legos. They sort all the lego bricks by size and then use the bricks to create houses, boats, cars etc.

mommy2kaelynn
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 1:43 AM

We'll have a great time doing this tomorrow when we get out the decorations for our tree. The tree is up - but just with lights, she will LOVE this!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)