Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Creative Play Challenge Day 2: “Sort” Out Your Holiday!

Posted by   + Show Post

Starting around 18 months, toddlers begin to notice differences and commonalities between objects-which means it's time to sort and group!Today, take some of your holiday decorations, food items, or gifts, and work together to "sort" them by color, size, shape, texture, or type. For older kids, increase the complexity of the items you sort or the categories you sort them in.

simple smile

Share with us the combinations you created in the comments below.

(Tip: Sorting Cubes and Block Assortments are both great toys to help build these sorting skills.)

If you missed yesterday's activity, you can find it here. If you haven't signed up for the Creative Play Every Day Challenge yet, you can do so here!

by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:05 AM
Replies (61-70):
mamabearlehman
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:00 PM

We just sorted all their toys into bins for the hundreth time. They just can't seem to keep them that way

Dardenella
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:20 PM

I am not sure about you request but we started sorting socks at a young age and at about two sorting M4Ms was a treat.  Yhere is now a who book out on it but sadly I did not write it.

We sort by colors and number of items etc.

myhandsomelove
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:24 PM
Ooo we did this with the ornaments, well by color anyway just to make sure we had an equal amount of all of them :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:25 PM

LOL I can be rather touchy about this subject.  I have to have things sorted into groups all the time. :) 

divamommao
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:31 PM

we sort out the ornaments by color and shape. We even sort out cookie cutters to make cookies... also gum drops we sort by color to make little bags of them..

got3boyz
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:36 PM

We sort our ornaments by size and hang them on the tree a certain way depending on their size.

Lilys_mama1222
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:51 PM
My 2 year old and I just sorted the bulbs by color and the other tree decorations by likeness :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:57 PM

I guess we can sort all the ornaments my toddler pulled down from the tree before we put them back up. :)

carole76
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:57 PM

I worked with my two, on colors, and sorting the ribbon and ornaments by color

squirrelml
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 1:00 PM

my kid is beyond this,but thanks for the thought.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN