Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Showering with your son?

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:03 AM
  • 48 Replies
My son is 2 in December and I've been wondering if him showering with me is inappropriate. My DH works nights two weeks out of the month so if I go to the gym in the evening I throw my son with me in the shower to conserve water and to get him in bed faster. He doesn't watch me or anything just plays with his toys and the water. He hasn't pointed at my area or anything like that. I guess my question is when is ok, or even if it is ok, for my son to shower with me.
Please no rude comments. I'm a new mother and never had a boy in the family. Thanks ladies.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LoVin_BN_MommY
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:05 AM

You know your family structure so im not the one to judge......but I think by 3 I wld stop showering with him. I have two boys 3 and 4. I stop showering with them at about 1 and then it was just a quick handoff shower then hand them back to my husband who was right outside the shower curtain.

meliscool72
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:07 AM
2 moms liked this

well I think that 2 is a little too old because they really start to get curious and if he starts getting curious and then he goes to school or daycare and starts talking about it dhs is going to get on your case and you don't want that. However, taking a shower and then leaving the shower on after you get out for a few mintues to fill up the bathtub, since it doesn't take much for him to actually get bathed you can do that or just have him hope in the shower right after and bath him then, it might help conserve

ZakkarysMom
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:12 AM
I would stop at age 2.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma4AJ
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:18 AM

my son just turned 3 in october, and i've been the only one to shower with him. usually its at the end of my shower is when he comes in, but thats just how our family is

Dcn2010
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:31 AM
Thanks ladies!! I know he's bound to become curious but I wasn't sure when that was. I'm going to just throw him in after I'm done.
Bethy16
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 2:56 AM
5 moms liked this
Wow my son was between 4-5 when I stopped showering with him. At 8 he misses it and asks me all the time. I stopped only because I was then showering with my daughter and there just wasn't enough room. My kids are naked kids and would prefer to run around with out clothes on. I have no problem with that at all. They could care less and aren't shy about themselves. No bashing but this is what worked for us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mummy1990
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 2:58 AM

I think when they start asking, hey mommy what is that down there...then its time to shower seperately. 

SlapItHigh
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:27 AM

It's fine.

kellymarie323
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:43 AM
I don't see a problem with this. My 2yo screams at the door when daddy is in the shower. She doesn't get inside, she can't see him but sometimes we sit on the toilet and chat w daddy while he showers. Then we leave before he gets out. She's never seen him naked. Never. I think it's differently judged on the other side though.
EarlGrayHot
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:33 AM
2 moms liked this

At some point you do have to begin enforcing modesty in your children.  Allowing them to run around naked at home means they will have no sense of propriety when they are in the homes of others.  I guarantee that other families are going to reject this and it's common sense that you understand this or your kids will have no friends because their parents won't tolerate your kids wanting to run around nude nor will they allow their children to visit your house.  You may hink you're being a free spirt but you are not helping.  It's not all about what you want but about what society demands and about instilling some kind of sense of modesty, which does, after all, have a point.  I seriously doubt you will be ok withyour 16 year old daughter running naked through the house with her boyfriend.

Now, it's different matter when bathing a young child ut opposite sex parents will have to end the practice while the child is still young.  Not being nakedwhenever you feel like it does not mean you're ashamed of your body.  I just mens you belong to a culture which places strictures on when and where nudity is proper.  There is a difference.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN