Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Showering with your son?

Posted by   + Show Post
My son is 2 in December and I've been wondering if him showering with me is inappropriate. My DH works nights two weeks out of the month so if I go to the gym in the evening I throw my son with me in the shower to conserve water and to get him in bed faster. He doesn't watch me or anything just plays with his toys and the water. He hasn't pointed at my area or anything like that. I guess my question is when is ok, or even if it is ok, for my son to shower with me.
Please no rude comments. I'm a new mother and never had a boy in the family. Thanks ladies.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:03 AM
Replies (41-48):
Basherte
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 7:52 AM

I would stop when he starts asking questions or starts to be curious by touching or point to different parts of your body. (I don't mean arm, leg, or neck)

Or whatever you feel comfortable with.

I mean if you dont' feel comfortable with your son in the shower with you now, then stop.

ladyraven16
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 7:58 AM
I shower with my almost 4yr old still. I stopped with my older son in May, he was a little over 5. They know I have different parts. It has never been an issue. When my older son asked to shower by himself he started showering alone. Now, my youngest and I get it, I shower myself and him, when I'm done I put a towel on and call my older son in. They play until I'm done getting dressed, I help my oldest with his hair and then take my youngest out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 11:21 AM
My son was 3 when I stopped putting him in the shower with me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Janet
by Ruby Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Quoting SlapItHigh:

It's fine.

Aishamusty
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this

This is so true I absolutely agree with u

Quoting EarlGrayHot:

At some point you do have to begin enforcing modesty in your children.  Allowing them to run around naked at home means they will have no sense of propriety when they are in the homes of others.  I guarantee that other families are going to reject this and it's common sense that you understand this or your kids will have no friends because their parents won't tolerate your kids wanting to run around nude nor will they allow their children to visit your house.  You may hink you're being a free spirt but you are not helping.  It's not all about what you want but about what society demands and about instilling some kind of sense of modesty, which does, after all, have a point.  I seriously doubt you will be ok withyour 16 year old daughter running naked through the house with her boyfriend.

Now, it's different matter when bathing a young child ut opposite sex parents will have to end the practice while the child is still young.  Not being nakedwhenever you feel like it does not mean you're ashamed of your body.  I just mens you belong to a culture which places strictures on when and where nudity is proper.  There is a difference.

Willow2012
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 11:49 PM
I don't have a son but I would stop before the age of 3.
kimberly161
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:18 PM
2 moms liked this

we have no problem with nudity either. We shower and get dressed together. Our kids usually start to become more independent and private on their own in their own time. We have seven now. I don't agree that our children will be friendless because we shower with them. They see the human body as normal and not embarassing. and when they ask questions about the body they aren't embarassed nor are we

Pammi86
by Pamela on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:57 PM

My daughter is 18 months and I sometimes throw her in the shower with me! But she is starting to say things like butt so for me I am putting a stop to it for the fact that she is learning things!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN