Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Son addicted to video games

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:04 PM
  • 8 Replies

My son is 8 and is also ADD. He is addicted to video games. He will play them anywhere he can find them such as: Best Buy, Walmart, Target, family's house, and home. What do I do about breaking this obsession. We have rules about them at our house. He can only play a hour a day or so. I will find him on my computer or my phone with out asking. He does get in trouble, but maybe not enough. I told him he  to ask. Believe me I am a strict mom, but do not want to put him in time out 30 times a day. Like I said it is a OBSESSION. Any ideas on how to break the habit. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks!

pregnancy calendar
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
kellymarie323
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:36 PM
Is there any way to lock these devices?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kellymarie323
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:37 PM
Like a password or code I mean.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DixieFlower
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:29 PM
2 moms liked this

Two words: Parental Controls.  Password the computer and phone.  I'd also make it a consequence that if he's found playing video games during non allowed time then he will lose the time he has for X number of days per incidence.

MichelleMc
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Is there something else you can get him into that the obession can switch to? Alot of times kids with obession time personalities can get it switched to something else. LIke taking a book anywhere, loving scouts, getting into sports,  something else maybe? Can you get him focus on electronics in a different sense like Geocaching? Get him outdoors but using a GPS?We love it & it is a great family thing.

Also with the punishment, make them "interesting". For every time he is caught, it is something scrubbing toilets, cleaning all the trash from the park ( with rubber gloves under thick work gloves if your worried ) LOL. I mean, something that isn't just up off the couch for 2 minutes.

I was a very strict mom when it came to electronics. Or mean, depends on who you are ( and not my son, he actually tells me at 17 he liked it, happy with it, and wants to do it with his kids ). He likes them alot, but never got the addiction of them. Plus even when he got them, He had time frames, he had weekends without them because of scouts, weeks without them becuase of scouts, we went camping for weekends without as a family. So he was used to no electronics.

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:53 AM
My 5 year old was starting to become obsessed with electronics so we took everything away. I would limit to a half hour after school and an hour on weekends. Disobey, lose all gaming privileges. Want to earn more time, do chores. Give him stuff to do after he's finished that will keep him active, like those little Lego kits or some sort of craft. He may even do well to use playdoh so that way he has his hands in something and getting a similar brain connection.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rorussell9
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:16 PM

I have children with adhd. Games really help calm them down. They usually will outgrow it although I do have a twenty four year old who keeps looking at his phone. The main advise I would give is to get him in lots of sports. Go to the pool alot..

Aishamusty
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I think this might work

Quoting MichelleMc:

Is there something else you can get him into that the obession can switch to? Alot of times kids with obession time personalities can get it switched to something else. LIke taking a book anywhere, loving scouts, getting into sports,  something else maybe? Can you get him focus on electronics in a different sense like Geocaching? Get him outdoors but using a GPS?We love it & it is a great family thing.

Also with the punishment, make them "interesting". For every time he is caught, it is something scrubbing toilets, cleaning all the trash from the park ( with rubber gloves under thick work gloves if your worried ) LOL. I mean, something that isn't just up off the couch for 2 minutes.

I was a very strict mom when it came to electronics. Or mean, depends on who you are ( and not my son, he actually tells me at 17 he liked it, happy with it, and wants to do it with his kids ). He likes them alot, but never got the addiction of them. Plus even when he got them, He had time frames, he had weekends without them because of scouts, weeks without them becuase of scouts, we went camping for weekends without as a family. So he was used to no electronics.

JOEJULA
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Those are all awesome ideas! Thank you so much for the advice!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)