Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

How much time do your kids spend w friends?

Posted by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:53 AM
  • 5 Replies

My kids, 6 and 16 are in school. There are only a few kids on our neighborhood, which is small and rural. My kids don't have any kids in our neighborhood they play with. Occassionally they will see a friend on the weekend at our house or thiers. 

My mom thinks it's sad for my kids that they aren't more social but agrees times are so different from when even I was a kid when after school all the kids were running around the neighborhood until dinner time

I had a few kids in my neighborhood I played with but just really 1 best friend I spent some weekend time with.

I mean by the time they get home, unwind, do homework, it's dinner time, then maybe a game or a little tv and it's get ready for bed time.

My youngest is just in 1st grade, the kids dont really know how to make plans yet, and is starting Girl Scouts every other Mon eve next week. And my oldest has a group of friends in school but because she has OCD she has not yet been able emotionally to spend time with them outside of school

So..I am just curious if it's my family or just pretty typical. (I mean I know my teen is not typical)

by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
AleaKat
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:56 AM
We are a non religious family in an extremely religious neighborhood. Even though there are a few kids my child's age one is even in his class- the parents tend to blow us off and avoid us like the plague.
I've just recently made a couple friends in the area but its still progressing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:39 PM
1 mom liked this

There's a girl the same age as my dd who lives next door so they play outside a couple times a week after school. But I think your family is pretty typical.

splatz
by Sarah on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:58 PM
My oldest is 7. We don't have very many neighbors with kids. In the summer he plays with them nearly every day. Lately its been too cold to go out often.
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 2:36 PM

During school schedule, mine don't have a lot of time...they may chat on the computer or something...

MichelleMc
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 4:01 PM

When mine was younger, VERY VERY social. He was in scouts was a day a week, two days one week a month when it was a monthly meeting & then when we had activities monthly or camp outs. He was in sports, Basketball, baseball & soccer, so we had practices or games. Swim lessons in between sports usually. We also did play groups that I set up up to about age 8 where we met at a park bringing picnic food to share with each other, plus just play time with friends & their kids at other friends houses. Then just the basic playing at friends houses.

Now that he is older it isn't anywhere near as much. He is only in one main activity plus going to the recruiters weekly. ( and school ). He does go to friends houses weekly but not more than that & of course play groups are LONG since over, LOL. We live in the country so no playing in the neighborhood anymore, but at 17, wouldn't really be doing that much anyway ;)

I think things have changed, I think we just have to work harder at it. But the activities just depends on what you put your kids in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN