Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone babywear?

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:45 PM
  • 10 Replies

Anyone babywear? 

I'm trying to figure out how to keep Baby M(the fulltime 18month old I babysit) warm but still go outside.  My winter coat won't fit over both of us when I carry her.  I can put my coat on and front carry her and layer her with heavy pants, and a sweatshirt and wrap her in a thick blanket but that leaves my coat open and I'm not sure if she's warm enough and honestly she's 23lbs and front carry is hard so I prefer back carry.  I've heard don't use coats with carriers but I'm wondering if I get her a snowsuit to wear like this if that would be ok or not or what I can do for her.

Mossi Pink 18 Months Toddler Snow Suit - 1 Piece

Or is the Ergo like a car seat where I don't want to use puffy coats and snow suits between her and the straps of the Ergo?  I'm thinking me wear my coat and put her in a snow suit and in the Ergo back carry.  I can get the Ergo winter cover and use that but I'd like to not charge her mom the $40 for it(she wants the baby carried and not in a stroller so she supplies the things I need to carry her).  I know she doesn't have that kind of money laying around so I'd like to go as cheep as possible.  Should I get something more like this where it's fleece and thin enough for the car seat, and still wrap her with a blanket?

How would I do that back carry and put a blanket on her?

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DixieFlower
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 11:20 PM

I babywear. The reason they say to avoid thick coats or suits in carriers is because it changes how the baby sits in the carrier. It will place pressure on different places and possibly cause harm/pain to baby. I don't have much experience with the Ergo. I use ring slings, Mei Tai, and Moby wraps with my sons. During the winter I would put them in lined pants and a longsleeve shirt with a sweater or sweatshirt over.  I'd also put a had and gloves on them. At 23 lbs both of my sons were carried in the front. I had one jacket that would zip over them in front. When I didn't wear that jacket I'd carry a blanket and cover them with that.  I think the fleece outfit you showed above should be fine. The other suit wouldn't be.

NicholasMama608
by Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Quoting DixieFlower:

I babywear. The reason they say to avoid thick coats or suits in carriers is because it changes how the baby sits in the carrier. It will place pressure on different places and possibly cause harm/pain to baby. I don't have much experience with the Ergo. I use ring slings, Mei Tai, and Moby wraps with my sons. During the winter I would put them in lined pants and a longsleeve shirt with a sweater or sweatshirt over.  I'd also put a had and gloves on them. At 23 lbs both of my sons were carried in the front. I had one jacket that would zip over them in front. When I didn't wear that jacket I'd carry a blanket and cover them with that.  I think the fleece outfit you showed above should be fine. The other suit wouldn't be.

Thank you!  :)

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
mamalusbear
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 11:37 PM

I love the Ergo....I wear DS on my back when we go out, he fits well in it even when he's bundled up.

SlapItHigh
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 6:15 AM

They make babywearing coats where there's a hole in the back so you can back-carry.  They are expensive though but I wonder if you could fashion your own.  I think there are some tutorials out there.  I did see one on super discount recently too.

delanna6two
HAPPY EASTER!!!
Monday at 3:19 PM
by Platinum Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 1:24 PM

I would like to...hope you find the info you need.

sleepymommy87
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 1:29 PM
We Ergo and Mei Tai and I usually dress dd warm but not bundled, and I wear a big necked sweatshirt or a big jacket over both of us but not covering her face so it traps my body heat in and warms her that way. They actually sell baby wearing sweatshirts that have a hole for baby's head, I'm thinking about getting one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 29, 2012 at 9:35 PM

18 months.. I would put her in a snowsuit and boots and have her walk. I guess I just don't recall carrying my dd anywhere after she could walk.

goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 29, 2012 at 9:37 PM

I also had my dd wear her snowsuit and still be in her carseat. It gets 40 below here, warmth before comfort lol.

Quoting goddess99:

18 months.. I would put her in a snowsuit and boots and have her walk. I guess I just don't recall carrying my dd anywhere after she could walk.

GimmieMoKimmy
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:49 PM
Ergobaby has coats. They also just debuted a new winter carrier.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DixieFlower
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Interesting. I never knew they had those.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

They make babywearing coats where there's a hole in the back so you can back-carry.  They are expensive though but I wonder if you could fashion your own.  I think there are some tutorials out there.  I did see one on super discount recently too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)