Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Do you let your children choose?

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 11:53 PM
  • 35 Replies
1 mom liked this

I took my son to get his haircut about a week ago. I let him pick what he wanted from the books they had there. It's nothing too wild or out there. So I was shocked when my mom asked me why I let them do that to his hair. Then when I told her I let him pick how he wanted her hair she told me "Well that's not his decission!"

Here are some pictures of him with his haircut. I didn't "spike" it like how they had at the salon but only because it was almost bedtime. However, the style is that in the top on the front it has some "spiking" going on. So what do you all think?

This is a picture of him right after he got his hair cut. Not really the best bet you can somewhat see the style a bit better.

by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 11:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mama_Gillogley
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:08 AM
3 moms liked this

I think that there is a balance- kids should know that there are some things that are not negotiable, like bed time, eating veggies, obeying mama when she asks you to do something, etc. But giving him a selection of hairstyles to choose from that you approve of is AWESOME you are fostering independent thinking and creativity in your son by allowing him to make a choice like that. If he wanted to get a bright green mohawk I might pause, but his haircut is cute and I'm sure he feels super proud of himself for making such a "grown up" decision. :) Good job mama!

tennisgal
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:10 AM

no, they've never asked to have it a certain way so i always say "neat and tidy" and that's how my boys like it for now. 

Mama_Gillogley
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:20 AM

yeah my son is too little to formulate a sentence on how he'd like his hair cut, haha, we'll cross that road when we get there!

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:44 AM
We let discuss landon's hair and if he wants, he can out in his thoughts. Lexi is still too little to decide and only recently got a cut (from me)because it was two different lengths. Landon usually wants to like his daddy so no issues.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
supermomz25
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:50 AM

my boys only want their hair buzzed, which I do at home. my daughter on the other hand, wants to have her long like Taylor Swifts. so she is growing it out. I just take her about every 2 months to get it trimmed.

Dazyjo
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 1:27 AM
1 mom liked this
I think the style he chose is adorable. And it IS his decision, because YOU decided to let him make it. And I think it's not grandma's place to tell you otherwise. She may have an opinion about the hair cut, or you letting him choose, but oh well, YOU are the one raising YOUR son. It's great to let your kids make choices in a controlled environment- give them options that you can live with and you both win, he gets to feel more grown up and you are free from having to make every teeny tiny decision. I say good job Mom
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SlapItHigh
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 6:12 AM

I think it looks cute!  Nothing wrong with letting children have a say in their body and aspects of their life.

MichelleMc
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 7:42 AM

I think if you don't mind, then that is up to you.

I wouldn't have let him at that age, but that is just me.

DixieFlower
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Thanks. That's the thing if it had been something quite different from the norm we probably would have discussed it a bit. I was really proud though when he looked through the book and made a decission of what he wanted.  I could tell there were a couple that he was trying to decide between because he kept flipping back and forth. Then he said "I want that one"

Quoting Mama_Gillogley:

I think that there is a balance- kids should know that there are some things that are not negotiable, like bed time, eating veggies, obeying mama when she asks you to do something, etc. But giving him a selection of hairstyles to choose from that you approve of is AWESOME you are fostering independent thinking and creativity in your son by allowing him to make a choice like that. If he wanted to get a bright green mohawk I might pause, but his haircut is cute and I'm sure he feels super proud of himself for making such a "grown up" decision. :) Good job mama!

Bethy16
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 8:16 AM
3 moms liked this
My son is 8 and his hair has always ( since he had an opinion) been up to him. His hair has always been on the longer side since I don't like buzz cuts on little boys ( just my opinion) He likes his hair on the longer side and asked me a few months ago if he can grow it longer. If that's what he wants as long as he keeps it neat sure! If he wants to buzz it, even though I don't like it he will buzz it. It is hair it grows. It is his form of self expression. I also let him dress himself. Of course I buy his clothes but it is also up to him and he likes the way he looks. My daughter is 4 she tells me how she wants her hair as far as pony tail pig tails etc. She likes her hair long. I also give her a choice of what to wear. If she wants to wear a sun dress and its 30 degrees out I explain why that's not a choice but if we aren't going anywhere and that's what you want to wear in the house go right a head. Their hair and their clothes are what make them feel good about themselves :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)