Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

What would you do?

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 3:17 AM
  • 34 Replies

If your teenage daughter became pregnant? I keep hearing moms tell them "I am not taking care of your child" "I will not support your child". I cant help but think that if my dd became pregnant what I would do. That would be my grandchild and I personally know how much I couldn't wait to meet my baby so I imagine dd would feel the same. Yes, a mistake was made and she's having a baby WAY too young but I know that I would help and support that child as much as I possibly could. I could not give grandchild or let my dd give her child up for adoption.

What are your thoughts? What would you do?

by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 3:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OliviasMommy611
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 10:12 AM
I can't even imagine. I am personally going to focus on prevention.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kenziesmomma228
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:03 AM

of course prevention is my number one concern. I'm just saying what if? It's such a hard thing to think.

Quoting OliviasMommy611:

I can't even imagine. I am personally going to focus on prevention.

freshmom88
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this
Support her like my parents supported me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this

I would support in every way possible. If my dd really thought she couldn't do it, I would adopt the baby in a heartbeat.

shadow_lark
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:15 AM
2 moms liked this
Same here. teenagers are perfectly capable of raising a child if given the same support and education offered to older parents. its sad that we are written off and shunned just because we are young.

Quoting freshmom88:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
freshmom88
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:18 AM
2 moms liked this
I agree. I got pregnant at 18 (luckily just out of high school) and it turned out fine for me. I have a college degree and was a sahm for several years. I would do all I could to help my child be a good parent as long as they are taking responsibility as well.

Quoting shadow_lark:

Same here. teenagers are perfectly capable of raising a child if given the same support and education offered to older parents. its sad that we are written off and shunned just because we are young.

Quoting freshmom88:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MichelleMc
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't have a daughter, But I would be there to support my son in supporting his kid.

With my son 17.5, already signed up having a leave date to the Army in June, at least he does have a solid job, with benefits. That is at least one thing, and he has NO desire to have a kid before 25. I hope it stays that way, LOL.  

HOWEVER, I think in this society there is TOO much supporting in the wrong ways. There is too much of "grandma" living thru their lack of having more kids or wanting to raise more kids. Not allowing their kids to grow up or thinking that their kids can't grow up, or might "miss out".

Um, yes, they made their choices, so guess what? They might "miss out". Fact of having a baby young, too bad. They need to grow up, they need to be a parent. You can't be the built in babysitter, or the second mom. Yes, you can baby sit, yes you can be there for them, but it is so far now that wow. Too much so that alot of these teenage moms and dads just don't even have a clue what it is to be parents. They don't get up with the kids, they don't cart the kids to here or there, to their doctors appts, don't deal with them when they are sick. They go away to college, they are weekend parents, sometimes only monthly parents, that is ridiculous. Their parents, the grandparents are the parents, and the teens just get their cake & eat it too. That is not helping them at all. So, that, I would NOT do.

I had my son at 18. My parents supported me at their house in the sense I am talking. Like, congrats, if you need me I am here. But I paid & raised my child. I can count on one hand though when they babysat him. And at 14 months we moved away as my husband was military so then we were 600 miles away til he was 8 LOL.

momofsunshine77
by Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 2:05 PM
2 moms liked this

I would help and support as long as she was trying and not being irresponsible. 

fortheboys1218
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 2:46 PM
2 moms liked this

Educate , educate!! First start with prevention, and if that fails, then educate her/him on what it means to be a responsible parent. Give them a choice! Let them learn from their mistakes , as you did when you were a first time parent. Love them for who they are, and only step in when it is absolutly the only way. Dont judge, we are all humans. And do what you can , when you can without causing grief and discomfort for yourself. That is what my parents did for me when I was almost 18 and had my first son. Thank you Mom and Dad!!

splatz
by Sarah on Dec. 1, 2012 at 2:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I honestly have no idea what I would do. I don't have to worry for quite awhile thankfully.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)