Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

I have a mouse problem. Anyone who can help?

Posted by   + Show Post

Well, mice problem. My family and I live in townhouse apartments, and we have mice problems for the past 3 years.

We do live next to a field, which is part of the problem, but during cold seasons, I guess they're just trying to find warmth and food.

I have complained to the managers, and they say all they can do is set up traps.

We have been buying our own sticky traps, and they have been working. We also borrowed my friends cat for the night, which worked.

This is getting ridiculous, not to mention we have a 2.5 year old daughter and I do not want her around any mice or mice droppings, let alone neither I nor my husband want to live like this.

Is there anything legal we can make them do to fix the problem? Can we get out of our lease early because of this?

Ive talked to all of my neighbors in our building, and none of them have mice problems. My house is clean. We dont leave food out, and our box and bag food (like cereal and pasta and sugar) are in plastic containers.

Thanks! Sorry so long. =(

CafeMom Tickers
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 11:25 AM
Replies (11-16):
RunningMommaof2
by Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:14 AM
We have a mouse problem too because we live in the woods. We had to figure out how they were getting in and fix that first. Then set traps, make sure all food and garbages were covered, and get a cat. Mice are such a paint in the ass. I hate them!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cstargarner
by Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:15 PM

do you know where they're getting in?  Maybe you can have them seal up the opening they're coming in through?  We live in a house in a newer neighborhood so we've got the fields too and last winter had them in the attic and they were getting into the cabinet above the stove (ewwwww!!!)  I was a nervous wreck.  They were coming from a hole cut around the exhaust tube for the oven fan or something like that that was in the cabinet so we put traps up there but more kept coming.  Finially I got my husband to seal that hole up and we were done with them.  They still get in the attic sometimes but we put poison cubes up there that have stuff that they eat and makes them really thirsty, then they go outside to get a drink and when water goes in their stomach with the poison, they die.  (that's what my mom said anyways bc I was worried about them dying in the house).  If you do that though, make sure it's somewhere baby can't get to it.  I'd want to get out asap too.  I know I was going crazy just with them in that one cabinet, and a year later still don't have anything in that cabinet bc i'm so grossed out knowing they were in there.  (I didn't have food in there, I had a bottle of oil and they were getting the paper off the bottle to use to build a nest or something, so it's not all about food like we'd think.)

Janet
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:38 AM

We have mice coming in now too. I hate them! I am so afraid of them! I noticed our side door has a small gap under the door. I bet that's how they are getting in here. I don't know if I can buy something to fix the door or buy another door. I just noticed it. We are allergic to cats or I would get one in a minute. If the dogs would permit it that is.  lol

lillucky8
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:38 AM
Id suggest a cat, otherwise im not sure what you can do
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Janet
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:39 AM

These mice are so smart. I have never caught one on a sticky trap. Hard to catch on a regular trap.

mom2ljh
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:42 AM
Get a cat. Seriously, we had mice problems EVERY winter for 5 years. We got a cat and he sent eviction notices in the form of bodily mutilation. Now...no mice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)