Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

My ex...whom i was with for 15 yrs. and divorced almost 3 yrs ago is severely bi-polar, in fact he was diagnosed shortly after our divorce and not only did the doctor put him on meds. But he up the perscription a few months after because it is so severe. My ex didnt like the medicine side effects so he stopped taking it and self medicates by smoking marijana. I suffered in this realtionship constantly with emotional abuse, so the fact he was diagnosed bi-polar was no surprise to me. But now it is effecting our 7 yr old son. He doesnt harm him or be mean to him, actually it is the complete opposite. He spoils him rotton. Buys him anything and everything he wants. Including vidoe games that arent age appropraite. Lets him stay up very late on school nights playing on-line with friends thru xbox live. And has my son convinced that he isnt responsible for his actions, that he has no control over his behavior. And interacts with our 7 yr old as if he is 2yr old.

Mind you, his father doesnt pay child support or help with dental or medical. This is all on me. And its not that i dont want our son to have things. I just want him to realize that nothing comes free. Or that he should earn it.

What are your thoughts??

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:10 PM
Replies (11-11):
DixieFlower
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:48 PM

I would say that mediation might be in order along with an amendment to the parenting plan. During mediation discuss these topics and come to a decission of what's appropriate and acceptable to you both.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)