Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

My 20 month old has turned in to a holy terror!

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:47 AM
  • 6 Replies

My newest baby is 2 weeks old today.  I was worried that my toddler would be "jealous" of him -- but, so far, so good.  She's very sweet to the baby & hugs & kisses him all the time.  BUT she has started crying almost all the time.  She will lie on the floor & scream for no reason.  She's waking up 4 & 5 times a night.  She is wearing me out.  I don't know if this is just the "terrible 2s" or if it's a reaction to the new baby.  Has anyone else had to deal with this?

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Nolanzo
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:53 AM
Its probably a combination of both. And yes, she most certainly could be gifting you early with the terrible 2's!

Lucky you :/

Ignoring the tantrums and floor screaming is my first line of defense... she is too young for time outs yet for them to be fully understood, so ignore and redirect unwanted behaviors.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
almondpigeon
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:55 AM

I've been ignoring the outbursts...but those night time screamfests are going to be the death of me!

Quoting Nolanzo:

Its probably a combination of both. And yes, she most certainly could be gifting you early with the terrible 2's!

Lucky you :/

Ignoring the tantrums and floor screaming is my first line of defense... she is too young for time outs yet for them to be fully understood, so ignore and redirect unwanted behaviors.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:19 AM

First I would take her to the doctor and make sure it isn't a medical problem since she is waking in the night and crying. Could be her ears or something. They don't always get a fever or pull at them. If not I would say it is a combo of the new baby and her age.

SlapItHigh
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with Janet, I would take my child to the dr if she was doing what you describe.  If the dr rules everything out, then I'd guess it had to do with the new baby.  It's very yard for young children when a new sibling enters the picture.  Imagine your husband saying he loves you so much that he wanted a new wife to come into the home, lol.  That's almost how it feels for the child.  But a 20 month doesn't have the skills/experience/brain development to handle it as well as an adult can.  That might result in outbursts and crying.  Don't ignore her, be there for her.  Comfort her.  SHow her that she deserves just as much attention as baby.

DixieFlower
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:44 PM

My sons are 20 months apart. I really didn't have this problem with my oldest though. I also involved him a lot with his younger brother's care. I also made a point to spend time with just him (when baby is napping or daddy is giving baby a bath etc..) I'd say as the pp did take her to the doctor and make sure there isn't anything medical going on.

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:30 AM

I would say a combination too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)