Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom
Can your child swim? How old are they and did they have lessons?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:02 PM
Replies (21-30):
goddess99
by Michelle on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Her bio dad taught her. And my mom has a pool so she has always had access to water.

Quoting OliviasMommy611:

Awesome. How did she learn than?

Quoting goddess99:

My dd can swim, She did take lessons but she could already swim before the lessons. She's 10 and has been swimming her whole life.

marchantmom06
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:15 PM
It's really not that hard. If they can kick their legs and hold their breath they learn quickly. I have mostly summer or early spring babies so they are in the water from a very very early age. 3-4 weeks depending on when their cords fall off. The hardest one to train was my 4 year old and he was 22 months but he was a slow learner at everything.

Quoting OliviasMommy611:

Wow! Never heard of someone swimming that early!

Quoting marchantmom06:

All ours except the 5 day old can swim. They can usually fully swim above and below the water by 15-18 months. We have pools and they are in the water from an early age.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OliviasMommy611
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:20 PM
Oh how great

Quoting goddess99:

Her bio dad taught her. And my mom has a pool so she has always had access to water.

Quoting OliviasMommy611:

Awesome. How did she learn than?

Quoting goddess99:

My dd can swim, She did take lessons but she could already swim before the lessons. She's 10 and has been swimming her whole life.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DixieFlower
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:57 PM

No neither of my sons can swim. They are 25 months and almost 4 yrs old.

bertie4
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Yes, They are grown now but when at the babysitters long time ago, they learned. She had a pool and a daughter who helped. 

suetoo
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:06 AM

My grandaughter was in the lake off our dock at 2. Learning to stand and hold the dock. And splash. Then the next summer, used a swim vest, then floaties, and then, suddenly swam across the family above ground pool without any help. The first lessons were about swim danger, and we found a wonderfull book about Stewie the Duck Learning to Swim. I think her parents will take her to lessons at the high school pool next summer. Years ago, we had a toddler drown just down lake from us, she was in the care of a 12 yr old cousin who lost track of her. It  takes only a moment so we believe swim lessons are really important.

LivinDeadGurl
So busy lately, I am damned near falling asleep sitting up. I think a nap is in order.
Today at 3:54 PM
by Maranda on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:08 AM

My oldest can. She taught herself at 11.

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:25 AM

not yet

SlapItHigh
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:31 AM

My older two (7 and 9) can and they have taken lessons for years.  My 3yo can't.  We are overdue for lessons, will start them in the new year.

kimied
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:32 PM

My youngest is 5 and Ive been teaching him to swim. He is gettin quite good too, even without expensive classes. We pratically live in the water during summertime!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN