Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

UPDATE Pg 9: 7 -Year-Old Shot to Death: What Is Your Stance on Gun Control?

7-Year-Old Shot to Death in His Car Seat Never Had a Chance

Posted by Jeanne Sager

bulletsA 7-year-old boy was shot to death under mysterious circumstances in western Pennsylvania today. The little boy was in his family car, outside a gun store, strapped into his booster seat, when police say a gun somehow fired, hitting the child square in the chest. Cops won't say yet whether the shooting outside Twig's Reloading Den in Mercer was an accident or something done intentionally.

But one thing is clear: that little boy didn't have a chance. He was strapped into his car seat, his dad was backing out of a parking space, and all of a sudden, his life was over.

We're all going to be Monday morning quarterbacking the shooting death of this child, so I want to say right now that my heart goes out to the family of this little boy. Whatever our thoughts on gun control, I hope that every American can come to a point where they agree on that.

A child is gone. His family needs our support.

They also need us all to approach this tragedy with some common sense.

Raised in a rural area, I'm all too aware of why we have the right to bear arms in this country. I know more than my fair share of people who shoot the food that their family eats. The fact is, based on its website, Twig's gun store is a place that caters mostly to hunters. There's a good chance that this was a dad taking his little boy to pick up something so they could go out on an old-fashioned dad and son bonding trip into the woods on a Saturday.

But all that said, this is one more sad story that makes me want to scream from the highest rooftop that people need to be more careful with the guns they own. Anything can happen at anytime. I've seen it in my small town, where people have unwittingly shot friends, employees, children ... because they just weren't careful enough with a loaded weapon.

What we have to remember in this gun debate isn't whether or not we have the right to be armed necessarily but the rights of people like this little boy to be around gun owners without fear.

As they say, with power comes great responsibility. And there are few powers mightier or more dangerous than gun ownership. Your responsibility to be careful and safe with that weapon is quite literally a matter of life or death.

Whatever happened to that little boy today, it was NOT his fault. Whether he touched that gun of whether he was just sitting there, it was the responsibility of that gun's owner to keep that boy safe.

What is your stance on gun control?

Do you think there's a place for gun ownership in this country?

by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:05 AM
Replies (151-160):
SourRoses
by Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 8:30 PM
1 mom liked this
You said what was on my mind so perfectly! Thank you for being one of the smart ones.

Quoting Candi_gal:

I am all for citizens able to bare guns!

It's people that do not know how to use them or practice proper safety that make it bad for us.

This dad had a loaded 9 mm gun that he tried to sell and he didn't. It was loaded and when he went to store it in the glove compartment he accidentally hit the trigger and it went off and he shot his child accidentally. Sad all around.

I'm just wondering why there was a bullet in the chamber and why his hand was on the trigger and why it was pointed directly at his son.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Momof2angels88
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 8:32 PM
I am against having guns where they are accessible to children! My 15 year old son was shot and killed by a 12 year old boy playing with a gun in 2008. No one knows how the boy got the gun and there are conflicting stories on whether he shot my son intentionally but regardless my son is gone and NO ONE is being punished! Where ever the boy got the gun from should be charged with not keeping the guns locked up and away from that child.
mom2ljh
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 8:38 PM
Oh how awful. :-( Knowing he's responsible for his child's death is punishment enough. They've said it's clear it was nothing but a horrific accident. I hope he doesn't face charges. That poor man. Praying for his family. :-(

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

UPDATED NEWS ARTICLE:

Pa. dad accidentally shoots, kills 7-year-old son after leaving gun store

The Associated Press

By

The Associated Press

on December 10, 2012 at 7:37 AM, updated December 10, 2012 at 7:41 AM

MERCER, Pa. — A 7-year-old boy had been buckling himself into his
safety seat in the back of his father's truck when he was shot to death
after a handgun accidentally went off as his father got in the front
seat, police said Sunday.

Joseph V. Loughrey, 44, told police he
had been trying to sell the guns Saturday at Twigs Reloading Den in East
Lackawannock Township, 60 miles north of Pittsburgh. He unloaded the
magazine at home, but didn't realize a bullet was still in the chamber,
Lt. Eric Hermick said. His son, Craig Allen Loughrey, was shot in the
chest and died at the scene.

State police Lt. Eric Hermick said
Sunday the father had secured a rifle in the back of the truck and
placed his pistol on the console when the handgun went off. Hermick said
police are reviewing surveillance video from the store, which helped
lay out the chain of events; the video is not being released.

"It
is very clear-cut exactly what transpired here," Hermick said of what he
called clearly an accident. "As he's laying it down, it discharges."

The Mercer County coroner ruled the boy's death an accident on Sunday, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported.
The results of the investigation will be given to Mercer County
District Attorney Robert G. Kochems, Hermick said. A message left with
Kochems was not immediately returned Sunday.

Hermick said the
father was very distraught and cooperative; he said he doubts there will
be charges, but that it's up to the district attorney. The father could
face charges, including involuntary manslaughter, Hermick said.

"It's
obviously negligent and reckless to some degree," he said. "It's
obviously in that gray area, where it's a true accident. But is there
negligence or recklessness with him not clearing the chamber?"

A message left at a telephone listing in the father's name was not returned.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2BeAmy
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Gun owners should be psychologically evaluated yearly. Failure to show up should result in repossession of the weapon. 

suhur12
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:49 PM

so sad my heart goes to the family

stillkickin4
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:54 PM

First and foremost my prayers go out to the family, such a terrible thing to happen.

As for the ban on guns, let's ask Australia how's that working for them, here's a few stats from military.com:The statistics for the years following the ban are now in: 1. Accidental gun deaths are 300% higher than the pre-1997 ban rate 2. The assault rate has increased 800% since 1991, and increased 200% since the 1997 gun ban. 3. Robbery and armed robbery have increase 20% from the pre-97 ban rate. 4. From immediately after the ban was instituted in 1997 through 2002, the robbery and armed robbery rate was up 200% over the pre-ban rates. 5. In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 171 percent. Learn more at http://www.reasonorforce.com/2010/08/australian-gun-ban-facts-statistics.html

If someone beats someone to death with a baseball bat are we going to ban bats? what about people texting/drinking and driving and kill someone? are we going to ban cell phones, alcohol or even vehicles?

The key to gun ownership is safety and awareness. ALWAYS TREAT EVERY GUN AS IF IT WERE LOADED! Never, EVER have a gun loaded until necessary. Unfortunately anyone can own a gun. I think safety courses should be a requirement before being allowed to purchase a gun, but banning is a bad, bad, very bad idea.

DH and myself are certified conceal/carry and we have several guns in our home, our children have been through hunter safety courses and trust me, they know not to handle a gun unless myself or DH is there, EVER. There are very serious consequences for breaking that rule.

People just need to think.

Serenity8310
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:56 PM
My stance is that no one not government not army nor citizens should bare arms. You don't see Canadians bare arms. I feel sorry for the boy and guns should of never been invented. They fall into moronic hands. The dad was probably on Prozac just like the proball player just up and shot his wife.

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

7-Year-Old Shot to Death in His Car Seat Never Had a Chance

Posted by Jeanne Sager

bulletsA 7-year-old boy was shot to death under mysterious circumstances in western Pennsylvania today. The little boy was in his family car, outside a gun store,
strapped into his booster seat, when police say a gun somehow fired,
hitting the child square in the chest. Cops won't say yet whether the
shooting outside Twig's Reloading Den in Mercer was an accident or something done intentionally.

But one thing is clear: that little boy didn't have a chance. He was
strapped into his car seat, his dad was backing out of a parking space,
and all of a sudden, his life was over.

We're all going to be Monday morning quarterbacking the shooting death of this child,
so I want to say right now that my heart goes out to the family of this
little boy. Whatever our thoughts on gun control, I hope that every
American can come to a point where they agree on that.

A child is gone. His family needs our support.

They also need us all to approach this tragedy with some common sense.

Raised in a rural area, I'm all too aware of why we have the right to bear arms
in this country. I know more than my fair share of people who shoot the
food that their family eats. The fact is, based on its website, Twig's gun store
is a place that caters mostly to hunters. There's a good chance that
this was a dad taking his little boy to pick up something so they could
go out on an old-fashioned dad and son bonding trip into the woods on a
Saturday.

But all that said, this is one more sad story that makes me want to
scream from the highest rooftop that people need to be more careful with
the guns they own. Anything can happen at anytime. I've seen it in my
small town, where people have unwittingly shot friends, employees,
children ... because they just weren't careful enough with a loaded weapon.

What we have to remember in this gun debate isn't
whether or not we have the right to be armed necessarily but the rights
of people like this little boy to be around gun owners without fear.

As they say, with power comes great responsibility. And there are few
powers mightier or more dangerous than gun ownership. Your
responsibility to be careful and safe with that weapon is quite
literally a matter of life or death.

Whatever happened to that little boy today, it was NOT his fault.
Whether he touched that gun of whether he was just sitting there, it was
the responsibility of that gun's owner to keep that boy safe.

What is your stance on gun control?

Do you think there's a place for gun ownership in this country?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
laurafshack
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:00 PM

No I don't. It's as simple as that.

noahscott
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:25 PM

I live in PA and we hunt, we have 3 guns in our home. When they are in the car they are in the trunk, in the case, with the clip out, and the safety on. As soon as they are taken out of the gun safe they are double checked to make sure there are no bullets in the chamber, after used they are checked for unknown bullets, and before they go in the case they are checked again. I do feel for that poor baby though, May God rest his soul and give his family peace. I could not deal with that.

kris0921
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:27 PM

I believe as a gun owner with small children it is my duty to teach my children that guns are not to be touched or messed with unless me or their father is RIGHT there!!!! It is the gun owners responsiblity to keep the child safe! I believe also if you are going to own a gun you should have to go through a class about gun safety!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)