Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

UPDATE Pg 9: 7 -Year-Old Shot to Death: What Is Your Stance on Gun Control?

7-Year-Old Shot to Death in His Car Seat Never Had a Chance

Posted by Jeanne Sager

bulletsA 7-year-old boy was shot to death under mysterious circumstances in western Pennsylvania today. The little boy was in his family car, outside a gun store, strapped into his booster seat, when police say a gun somehow fired, hitting the child square in the chest. Cops won't say yet whether the shooting outside Twig's Reloading Den in Mercer was an accident or something done intentionally.

But one thing is clear: that little boy didn't have a chance. He was strapped into his car seat, his dad was backing out of a parking space, and all of a sudden, his life was over.

We're all going to be Monday morning quarterbacking the shooting death of this child, so I want to say right now that my heart goes out to the family of this little boy. Whatever our thoughts on gun control, I hope that every American can come to a point where they agree on that.

A child is gone. His family needs our support.

They also need us all to approach this tragedy with some common sense.

Raised in a rural area, I'm all too aware of why we have the right to bear arms in this country. I know more than my fair share of people who shoot the food that their family eats. The fact is, based on its website, Twig's gun store is a place that caters mostly to hunters. There's a good chance that this was a dad taking his little boy to pick up something so they could go out on an old-fashioned dad and son bonding trip into the woods on a Saturday.

But all that said, this is one more sad story that makes me want to scream from the highest rooftop that people need to be more careful with the guns they own. Anything can happen at anytime. I've seen it in my small town, where people have unwittingly shot friends, employees, children ... because they just weren't careful enough with a loaded weapon.

What we have to remember in this gun debate isn't whether or not we have the right to be armed necessarily but the rights of people like this little boy to be around gun owners without fear.

As they say, with power comes great responsibility. And there are few powers mightier or more dangerous than gun ownership. Your responsibility to be careful and safe with that weapon is quite literally a matter of life or death.

Whatever happened to that little boy today, it was NOT his fault. Whether he touched that gun of whether he was just sitting there, it was the responsibility of that gun's owner to keep that boy safe.

What is your stance on gun control?

Do you think there's a place for gun ownership in this country?

by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:05 AM
Replies (161-170):
SlapItHigh
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:58 PM

What a tragedy :(.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:00 PM

That's not too far from where I live :/. How tragic

RoxeyMama
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:36 PM
I wouldn't take a child so young to a gun store but why in the world was there loaded guns. I'm not against guns but I did tell my husband since we have little ones that he has to havd a safe and have them not loaded
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MissyMom3
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Cher53:

Hi I am certified through gun training of course to carry and conceal. My husband and myself have the responsibility at all times to know our guns are on safety. The Father of this child is held to the same responsibility he as a gun owner didn't take the proper steps, if he had this tragedy would have never happened..

I have completed CC training, as well, and am awaiting my permit.  The biggest problem, and the thing that seems to be the most common in these situations, is a lack of training.  People assume that the gun is unloaded when the magazine is empty or out.  They forget, or don't know, that once you rack that slide, there is a bullet in the chamber & that gun is "live".

brittanyx22
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:54 PM
This "accident" happens far too often. I'm all for people being able to own guns, but be a respinsible gun owner!
JTriches
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:56 PM

ITS STUPID not to keep guns locked up and away from kids

toybar02
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:00 AM
That is really a tragedy, thats so terrible, an innocent life taken, his family is in my prayers
avaandemmasmom
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Ummmm what?? 

Quoting Serenity8310:

My stance is that no one not government not army nor citizens should bare arms. You don't see Canadians bare arms. I feel sorry for the boy and guns should of never been invented. They fall into moronic hands. The dad was probably on Prozac just like the proball player just up and shot his wife.

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

7-Year-Old Shot to Death in His Car Seat Never Had a Chance

Posted by Jeanne Sager

bulletsA 7-year-old boy was shot to death under mysterious circumstances in western Pennsylvania today. The little boy was in his family car, outside a gun store,
strapped into his booster seat, when police say a gun somehow fired,
hitting the child square in the chest. Cops won't say yet whether the
shooting outside Twig's Reloading Den in Mercer was an accident or something done intentionally.

But one thing is clear: that little boy didn't have a chance. He was
strapped into his car seat, his dad was backing out of a parking space,
and all of a sudden, his life was over.

We're all going to be Monday morning quarterbacking the shooting death of this child,
so I want to say right now that my heart goes out to the family of this
little boy. Whatever our thoughts on gun control, I hope that every
American can come to a point where they agree on that.

A child is gone. His family needs our support.

They also need us all to approach this tragedy with some common sense.

Raised in a rural area, I'm all too aware of why we have the right to bear arms
in this country. I know more than my fair share of people who shoot the
food that their family eats. The fact is, based on its website, Twig's gun store
is a place that caters mostly to hunters. There's a good chance that
this was a dad taking his little boy to pick up something so they could
go out on an old-fashioned dad and son bonding trip into the woods on a
Saturday.

But all that said, this is one more sad story that makes me want to
scream from the highest rooftop that people need to be more careful with
the guns they own. Anything can happen at anytime. I've seen it in my
small town, where people have unwittingly shot friends, employees,
children ... because they just weren't careful enough with a loaded weapon.

What we have to remember in this gun debate isn't
whether or not we have the right to be armed necessarily but the rights
of people like this little boy to be around gun owners without fear.

As they say, with power comes great responsibility. And there are few
powers mightier or more dangerous than gun ownership. Your
responsibility to be careful and safe with that weapon is quite
literally a matter of life or death.

Whatever happened to that little boy today, it was NOT his fault.
Whether he touched that gun of whether he was just sitting there, it was
the responsibility of that gun's owner to keep that boy safe.

What is your stance on gun control?

Do you think there's a place for gun ownership in this country?

avaandemmasmom
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:32 AM

yea and alot of people would be dead to, in cases where they used one to PROTECT themselves...

Quoting MamaFrankie:

Unless you're a cop, or armed forces you don't need one . that's just MY view.

splatz
by Sarah on Dec. 11, 2012 at 3:15 AM
Its not CM that writes them. Usually the admins share posts from The Stir. Those articles are written by various bloggers. Which means facts can be wrong, article can be biased, etc. :)

Quoting MichelleMc:

Quoting TheMommaJessie:

the article said the father was backing out of a space

Quoting MichelleMc:

Quoting TheMommaJessie:

if it was the father's gun & he was backing out of a parking space how did the child get shot? something sounds fishy with that

Quoting MichelleMc:

Quoting TheMommaJessie:

gun shops ARE NOT suppose to have loaded guns in their stores. i own guns & WHEN guns are handled and used correctly there is no risk of killing or hurting children.

EXACTLY, it wasn't a gun shop gun. It was the dads gun. Sigh.

He wasn't backing out. He was putting his gun away. Yes they haven't ruled accident fully yet.

Which one, I can't see where the car was moving in any of them when the gun went off? I see that he was after to take him to the hospital but then stopped when he realized he needed 911?

Edited to see, this stupid Cafemom does backpedel to say backing out, LOL. Yeah, the car wasn't moving. It says at first he wasn't, then says it a paragraph later he was. Not sure why it says that. Just how cafemom writes them I guess.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN