Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It's Coffee Break time! Hot Topic: You're Too Old To Wear That!

Welcome to Mom To Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

According to a British beauty company who surveyed 2,000 women over the age of 45, the age to grow old gracefully is 59. This is the age women believe they should stop wearing lipstick, high heels, tight fitting clothing and artificial nails. The survey also found that women over the age of 40 should not wear baseball caps, artificial tans or mini-skirts. Other age restricted fashions in the survey include tattoos and tall boots.
                                              Read more about it here.

1. Do you agree with the survey?

2. At what age do you think women should start to look more 'natural'?

3. What 'questionable' items do you have in your wardrobe?

4. Do you think certain types of fashion should be restricted to a certain age group?

While you share your thoughts with us, be sure to let us know what                                      you would like us to serve you!

Be sure to check out these posts as you wait!

We hope you have fun and enjoy your time with us.

by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 7:38 AM
Replies (71-80):
marihla
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:45 PM

I'd like to add that I could never picture my mom dressing "old," and don't expect she ever will. Why should she have to?

nanasprozac
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:48 PM
1 mom liked this

you wear what you want to ...you look and feel your way...who cares what others think..besides gotta give the nosies something to gossip about

Momof697
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this

my clothes probably make me look older than I am but that is what I am comfortable in. My girls dress like me.     Modestly no shortsd, no skirts above their knees, since they are young no makeup, shirts cover their chest and belly button.

CowgirlSoldier
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:37 PM

My opinion is 50 year old women shouldn't dress like 25 year old women. I am 25 and I do not want my 56 year old mother dressing like me. I think as you become older your style matures. There is no need for granny to be picking up a teen vogue at the local store. I am modest in my attire but I pray that my 50 year old self  doesn't think 'shes still got it' when I have grandchildren around me. 

You may very well have a great body for a 50 year old but you shouldn't be shopping in the juniors department 'just because you can'. 

There is a tasteful way to stay fashionable at any age that is appropriate. I will absolutely still get my nails done and wear make up, just like my grandma does. But I won't be wear mini skirts and pumps, cleavage revealing shirts, or leggings at that age. 

Mom2Demonz
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:39 PM

My grandmother and all the older ladies at church wore lipstick and powder (and those crazy penciled-in eyebrows for some of them). I plan to wear the makeup and clothing I choose when I'm "old". I've never really cared what others thought of how I was dressed or the makeup I wore, and I don't see my give-a-damn getting fixed when I'm 60!

maidjillian
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Well, as Clinton Kelly says, if you dress younger than you are it will only make you look older.  If you are dressed as an 18 year old and you're 40, the 18 year old wins. 

Have fun with your wardrobe, but don't dress like a teeny bopper when you are middle aged.  It's sad and yo're not fooling anyone.

CoeyG
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:55 PM

I just turned 59 this year but I gave up all the crappy make up and discomfort at least 15 years ago LOL. 

pampire
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:45 PM

If it makes you feel good, wear it.

livn4hevn
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:47 PM

I am in SUCH a middle ground with my wardrobe. My 21 year old sister gets away with a LOT more than I do, at 27!

I think it's more of a mom, wife, career, etc thing. I can't wear what she wears because I'm a mom, wife, college student and studying psychologist. However, one of my best friends is single, unattached and a college student who can totally pull it off.

FrumpyMama
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:50 PM

I don't think there should be an age limit with fashion. Usually our judgement and maturity will tell us if something if too young for us.  More than anything I'd be for the policing of people wearing clothes that fit them. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)